Contributor

After having this issue I read to put vinegar and a bit of dish liquid into a dish. I did and it really attracted them and when the dish got full of them, I emptied and added all over again the vinegar and dish liquid, seems to really work good.

Trusted Contributor

Fruit fly season I keep my bananas in the fridge, as I only use them for my smoothie in the morning. And the apple cider vinegar/dawn soap in a small container works well

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell   I have had those critters from time to time.  This works - take a small glass like a juice glass.  Fill with apple cider vinegar and a little water.  Place a teaspoon of sugar in the vinegar and add one drop of liquid dish soap (the makes the fruit flies go down to the bottom of the glass).  They love the smell of the apple cider vinegar.  For your drain take baking soda and pour vinegar over it in the drain.  It cleans out the drain.  These home remedies are excellent.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

One will ride into the house on a piece of produce or a restaurant salad. And before you know what happened, you've got a problem. What I've done that works:

1. Thorough clean. Make sure there are no food sources for them anywhere.
  2. Then get an orange and peel and eat it.
  3. Take a plastic grocery bag and put some of the orange peel in the bottom of the bag under a few items.
  4. Leave the bag out in the kitchen, where you can easily get at it, for a day or two. It will attract any flies that are in a different area of the house.
  5. Then, and you have to do this very quickly, pounce and close up the top of the bag and tie it tight.
  6. Then throw it in the trash outside. Any that escaped the bag will have no food in the house to eat to reproduce so they will quickly die of fruitfly old age.
When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr