Valued Contributor

Help with fishy odor on jacket

Help! My daughter bought me a cute, short down jacket that I love, BUT I can't get rid of the fishy odor that clings to it.

I've tried using vinegar in the wash water, but that didn't work.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd surely appreciate it. I am very sensitive to odors and this drives my crazy.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Help with fishy odor on jacket

Fabreze makes a spray for fabric that may work.  Or sprinkle with baking soda and leave in the sun.  

Respected Contributor

I would try Febreze.  And perhaps find a spot you could hang it outside for a couple days.

Honored Contributor

Try wrapping it with news print. (Newspaper) 

I've learned to hang an item up, and wrap and tape news print  all around the garment.  For a few days. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@zitawins 

As @Carolm said I vote for the Febreze Fabric spray.  I use it all the time with great results on clothing and drapes and upholstery.

I use it so much that I buy the large refills to replenish the original spray bottle.  Much less expensive that way.

Honored Contributor

When I've received clothing with strong odors. I use a solution of Don Aslett's  X-O deodorizer, which is sold at QVC and Amazon.   I mix a solution and spray the entire garment lightly.  Let it dry and repeat.  The odor is completely gone.  I had the fishy smell on a Dooney Florentine leather handbag and got rid of it by spraying.  The denim clothing has a pungent mildew smell.  The X-O spray got rid of both.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

A friend worked processing fish during college years. He bathed in lemon juice to cut the fishy smell.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

A friend worked processing fish during college years. He bathed in lemon juice to cut the fishy smell.

That's what I was thinking.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First thing is DO NOT USE FABREEZE.  NO WORSE ODOR THAN TRYING TO PERFUME OVER FISH. 

This is most likely dye odor and you may/may not ever get rid of the odor.  However, the best thing to do is spritz the jacket all over with a combination of half water-half vinegar.  You are scared you will ruin the jacket, right?  Well, if it smells like fish and you cannot get rid of the odor, the jacket is no good anyway, so spritz away, hang outside in a very cold area for a few hours and then bring it in.  Vinegar and water should be dried and the jacket should be good and cold, free of odor and ready to wear.  If the odor is not gone with that, wet a towel good with pure vinegar, nothing else and wring out.  Then wrap the coat all over with that towel and lightly wipe it and take it away.  The odor should be gone soon.  If it is not, that jacket should be sent back to the vendor.  It's too much dye.  I purchased some custom-made drapes from a well known vendor, very expensive once that smelled like fish and the odor never went away.  I returned them and was fully refunded the amount.  They told me the fabric was dyed in another dye house from their usual fabrics and apologized for the problems I had and offered to make some more for me.  By that time, I was ready to abandon the idea of draperies and just use custom shutters.

Respected Contributor

try ZERO ODOR.  it can take odors away - but does not leave that Febreze tell tale smell. i always have a spray bottle handy for all kinds of things.