Honored Contributor

Re: Help Me With Tips TO Save Money-Please????

We spend about 100.00 a week on groceries for two people and are not deprived at all.   So I'd evaluate your grocery purchases, are you including liquor?  A membership at Costco is invaluable to me, mainly because I just plain like their products.  Its about 1.00 a week.  They have these huge rotisserie chickens for 5.00, that's two meals for us right there.  

Honored Contributor

Don't watch ay shopping channels.  You'll be downsizing in time and wish you'd not bought things at this stage.

Honored Contributor

Lawn services are costly. We actually have no lawn. Let nature take its course.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

My mother would say before you buy something you don’t need calculate the cost of how many hours you had to work or will have to work to pay for it and see if it’s worth that amount of your life you have to trade for it. 

Honored Contributor

Found this quote awhile back:

He who buys what he does not need, steals from himself.  Swedish proverb.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Every other week Shoprite will have a gift card offer where if you buy a total of $50 in gift cards from certain stores you will get a $10 off coupon good on your next shopping trip.

We don't have a Shoprite near us but Meijer which is a regional store in the Midwest offers something similar.

I also save up those $5 "Free" Target gift cards with purchase for the Holiday season.  Believe me you don't want to be the person behind me in line while the poor cashier has to enter each of those individually.  Target use to combine them for you but stopped.  Probably because people like me save them up and Target would rather you run right back in and use that $5.

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

My mother would say before you buy something you don’t need calculate the cost of how many hours you had to work or will have to work to pay for it and see if it’s worth that amount of your life you have to trade for it. 

@GenXmuse 

My mom was a nurse so whenever we wanted something she thought cost too much she would ask us “do you know how many bedpans I have to empty to earn that much money?”. When we heard that we knew we weren’t getting what we wanted. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@GenXmuse 

My mom was a nurse so whenever we wanted something she thought cost too much she would ask us “do you know how many bedpans I have to empty to earn that much money?”. When we heard that we knew we weren’t getting what we wanted. Smiley Wink

Lol so was mine!