Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Help Me With Tips TO Save Money-Please????

everything is getting more costly.  but i think you have been given some very good ideas.  i shop at the dollar tree for chips ect.  they are just as good as the national brands.  it is just that they are smaller companies and they can't compete with the national brands in the big supermarkets.

i also get my hair cut and  styled at the local beauty school.  costs me $8.00 for wash, cut and style.  can't beat that price.  never had a bad hair cut.

i  shop the discount bins at the local store.  also reduced produce bin.  just because a piece of produce isn't perfect, doesn't mean it isn't good.

i cook a lot too.  i shop costco  for bulk items that i know that i will use, but also get their chicken as it is a good price and i can't cook it at  home for $5.00.i watch the sale fliers and stock up on sugar, flour when it is on sale.  i never pay full price for itmes that i know i will use up.  when a local store had sugar on sale $.89 for 4 lbs, i bought 30 lbs and put it in storeage.   soups when 10 for $10.00, i buy what kinds iknow that i will use.  i also shop at a misdirected store near me.

i also watch the sales at stores for everything from shampoo ect

$800.00 per month is an iffy amount for food.  it depends on where you reside and wha tyou like to eat.  i buy very little fast or convient food.  they are over priced.  i also check the number of serving in a box.  some itmes make themjust too small these days.

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@buyornot   Hi and welcome to the retired life.  I retired at the end of March 2018 Woman Happy 

I shop at Meijer's which is multi departmental.  That means while I am there I am buying health and beauty, groceries and things like paper towel, detergent, etc.

I check sales circulars and even if I am stocked up on something I use all of the time like paper towel or especially bird seed, I will pick up another bundle of paper towel and bird seed to tide me over for those weeks they are not on sale.

When it comes to the real 'groceries' do you find you are eating everything or is there an increase in wasted food? 

Yes-wasted food!

Trusted Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

You’re only spending $25 a day on food for 2 people. That does NOT seem extravagant to me.

Only you know your spending and where you can cut corners. Good luck 

You are right and I agreeSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

I am newly retired and would like any tips that people have on saving money-I am willing to try anythingSmiley Happy  I'm 66 and live with my husband and have a few young grandchildren. One thing I did was add up all of the withdrawls from the nice grocery store that we have here.  I am spending about $800/month on groceries.  We do not eat at restaurants at all and rarely spend money on entertainment except tv. Any tips would be so interesting-no matter how smallSmiley Happy

Groceries are my biggest expense/bill. I am tad less in what you pay for 2 people/month. I also need tips.  I don't buy steaks , etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@buyornot wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@buyornot   Hi and welcome to the retired life.  I retired at the end of March 2018 Woman Happy 

I shop at Meijer's which is multi departmental.  That means while I am there I am buying health and beauty, groceries and things like paper towel, detergent, etc.

I check sales circulars and even if I am stocked up on something I use all of the time like paper towel or especially bird seed, I will pick up another bundle of paper towel and bird seed to tide me over for those weeks they are not on sale.

When it comes to the real 'groceries' do you find you are eating everything or is there an increase in wasted food? 

Yes-wasted food!

@buyornot 

Ahh, I was going to ask the same thing.

I don't think that $800 a month is too much for food, especially if you're feeding little ones (and sometimes their parents!), too.

The last thing I'd budget down is good, healthy food.  

Are you buying things for recipes that don't come to fruition?  Or are fruits and veggies spoiling before they get eaten?  Try to track what is going in the garbage or out to the birds.  Such a shame to throw food away!!

Gas, water and electric I feel you can *bargain*, by watching your usage.  Another awful thing to *waste* (natural resources/energy). 

I always say those bills are 'negotiable' because it's up to you how much you want to spend/waste.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

As others have said, hard to give any suggestions without knowing more about you.  I agree with others who have pointed out that $800/month on grocerites for 2 people is high.  DH and I spend less than half of that although we do eat out a couple of times a month.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is if you have 2 cars, get rid of one.  That will save a lot of money.  

Right now-that sounds terrible-I love having my car and we live in the country. But, yes, I know that would save moneySmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

Are you sure you did your math right on those groceries?  You may live in a more expensive area, but that seems way too high. I am retired with a husband and we don’t spend even 400 per month. If there are special occasions requiring special meals, it’s a little more. This week, I am not going to the store unless I need something specific. I will put our meals together with what I have on hand. I shop the sales, Cook mostly from scratch, and don’t waste anything. I think if you examine your budget and how you cook, you will be able to save a lot right there. Good luck. A challenge like this can be fun. 

Well, it's a pretty complete store-groceries, sundries,cleaning supplies....

Trusted Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

of course Wal mart prices are good too .....

They are really no cheaper than my "high end" grocery if you stay away from luxury items-I've tried that.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

There are two of us at home and our grocery budget is the same as yours but it includes tp, paper towels, cleaning products, laundry products, dog food, cat food, litter, some health & beauty, and occasional odds & ends.  We still shop at Costco once a month for some things, but I've always shopped the Meijer ad and planned our dinner menus accordingly.  For the past 6 mos. or so, I've found ways to stretch certain cuts of meat to cover more than two meals.  For instance, I'll make bbq'd pulled pork with a boneless pork loin that was purchased on sale - one night it'll be a pile of meat on the plate with a couple of simple sides (2 veggies or a veggie and maybe some applesauce), another night I'll use some of the meat for nachos, and if there's any meat left we'll have a sandwich another night.  We also enjoy stretching an eye of round roast for several meals - traditional roast beef dinner, a big salad with cold slices of beef, sandwiches or wraps, crackers & cheese w/slices of beef.  I'll do the same thing with chicken - making a recipe or casserole that can feed us two or three times.  Rotisserie chickens are usually around $5.00 and you can get a couple of dinners from one.  We have also decided that we don't need a big meal every night either.  We are very content with a grilled cheese sandwich and especially enjoy BLT's when we can get good tomatoes.  We also find a good salad very satisfying by adding some kind of protein like that leftover roast beef, grilled chicken or cooked shrimp.

Last week I ventured out to Aldi.  I really only needed a few things but took my time looking at all they had to offer.  I was impressed by the selections that were available - far more variety than they used to.  The bread I bought was fine.  The fruit preserves might have a little fewer actual fruit pieces but I'm willing to live with that for the overall savings.  I am really thinking of changing things up to include a monthly Aldi run for certain things and cutting my overall bill where I can.  I doubt I'll give up Meijer or Costco, but I'm willing to give this a try for a few months and see what happens.

Yes, you sound like us and that $ does include all of those items alsoSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Spend less time on QVC. 

Learn to admire without having to acquire. 

Agree!