Honored Contributor

Help! Does Anyone Know About Bidets?

I've mentioned that I'm 'redoing' 4 of my bathrooms.

Here's the problem.  This is the first time I've had to pick out 'stuff' without my late husband.

He designed the house and picked out everything.  I was and am still not interested in anything even remotely called redecorating.

One thing I do know is I want to put a bidet into the master bathroom.

I have a very fancy Kohler toilet in the hall powder room.  I like the look of it, no problem, I replaced a chocolate colored one when my husband was alive.  Replace it with bisque color.

I tend to like the color bisque but white works too.  So no big deal on the toilet.

It's the bidet that's making me nuts.

I have no experience with bidets.  My son in law's brother lives in Silicon Valley in California.  He has bidets (Toto) in all of the bathrooms.  I'd ask him but I'm not about to pay $1,000 for a bidet toilet, so I doubt if he'd be helpful.

Does anyone here know about bidets?  

This has been a real head trip because when he was alive I'd tell him what I wanted or liked and he bargained and paid for it. 

I don't like expensive stuff.  I think I just have normal (whatever that is) taste.

Any ideas from some of you who post amazing pictures of furniture and houses.

I know about wallpaper.  I used to put it up in my house and for my friends....but bidet...absolutely zip.

Help!  Please?!

New Contributor

Re: Help! Does Anyone Know About Bidets?

I have had bidets for over 15 years.  First you have to decide If you want hot or cold water, if you want hot need an electric outlet by your toilet or if your toilet is next to your vanity you can Hook the bidet to your hot water under the sink.  I have had bio bidet and Coco  which are expensive but they are all in one including the seat cover. I have also in the past purchased simple ones from Amazon.  These are simply attached to the toilet and then you need to buy a toilet seat to put on top. The buttons to operate are off to the side.  These can run from 50 some dollars and up.  You can get cold water ones and  hot water ones.  If you happen to purchase one that has both hot and cold and don't have a way to hook up the hot You can just hook up the cold.  Check out Amazon and as I said I have purchased less expensive ones in the past and they work fine.  I would not not have bidets.  I have three bathrooms and they all have bidets.  One of my bathrooms has a biobidet, one a coca and the one in the basement one from Amazon (that one is cold water only).  Love love them and I hope this helps.  Also when you purchase one make sure to match your toilet as they come round or elongated.

Honored Contributor

Hi, yeah, so what do you want to know, @Annabellethecat66 . When we built this house 20 years ago I made sure that I could fit a bidet into one of our 2 bathrooms. I know there are two kinds (at least there were back then). You can sit-straddle- the seat and the flow will hit you from the front. OR, you can get the one which has the flow shooting up from the floor (for lack of a better word) of the bidet and hits you in the bottom.  We chose this one and I'm not sorry. You adjust the flow with one handle and the temp just like you do your faucets. I chose Kohler for all of our sinks, and the bidet. All of the stoppers rusted out after about 12 years. The bidet could be used for a footbath, too, only the stopper broke off so that it can't be fixed without taking apart the whole bloody thing. We passed on that and just make do with what we've got. I really like it otherwise and sure comes in handy, especially for young girls-wish I'd had one at that time of month. Too late! Anyway, they say if you have a bidet you shouldn't need toilet paper. It's mostly true.  So if you want to know if you should get one, yes, get one. I don't think those attachments to a present toilet would be nearly as nice as a bidet. BTW, mine's bisque! 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline @Lakeview  Thanks for your help.  I've been reading up on them probably off and on for a year or so.

I initially wanted to put it in the hall powder room.  My girls have said I shouldn't do that, so I'm putting it in the master bathroom.

I probably won't be using it much because ... well...it's in the master bathroom.  No exactly close.

I have been getting an education briefly from the general contractor.  The toilets in 3 of the bathrooms are the original ones from when we built the house in late 70's.  I never thought about how short they were until someone mentioned.

The one in the hall powder room is a Kohler and much higher than the older ones.  I almost feel like my knees are up to my boobs sitting on them.  I never use them, just mostly the powder room one, I guess that's why I didn't realize.

I've learned about tile too.  Never paid any attention until I had to pick out tile.  Good grief!

I always try to think about what someone else would like if they bought it.  Eventually, I will probably move.  

My daughter who's been helping me with the house kept telling me I needed one of those chairs that go up the stairs.

No way am I ready for that thing.  It's so slow, I'd end up never using it and it would get in the way.  Besides, I can go up and down the stairs (split foyer).

Anyway, thanks for the info.  I appreciate the way both of you took time to answer my questions.

It's not like it really matters anyway.  It's just toilets and cabinets.

OMG!  Wait til I have to replace the wall to wall carpeting.  Good grief!  I sure miss my husband.  He was so good at this stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 : Thank you for posting. I am doing the same research and getting more confused. Got my head spinning when asked if my toilet was round or what was the other word ( see desperately need help) and with my poor eyes my toilet didn't look like anything they said. All I know is that my toilet sits on top of a toilet riser that I purchased from Amazon, because my toilet was low like trying to sit on the kiddie toilet in the church nursery. I have hip and lower back issues and thought the bidet could help. Looking forward to all the information you receive. Southern Bee

Esteemed Contributor

I have Toto toliets and Washlets. Amazon sells them or you can buy from your favorite plumbing supply dealer.
These fixtures only need a GFI outlet. The units heat the seat and the water.

These go well with Grohe fixtures in your bathrooms and kitchen. They tend to be expensive, but they will give your areas a special touch.

Esteemed Contributor

Why would anybody want a 'shot' of cold water........over warm?

Super Contributor

I know you said you were not going to use it so it wasn't going to be in your master bathroom. You said you were going to put it in the powder room for guests to use then?
Super Contributor

Oops. Seen that you do want to put it in the master bath.
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   Can't help you with prices or brands, but I sure would love to have one. If I had the opportunity, I'd sure be getting one.