Esteemed Contributor

I Have To Back Off The News For Awhile.

While I certainly want to be informed about what is happening in the world, I need a break from the national news.

The news has been awful for months now but the last few days I can feel my blood pressure go up even with BP meds.

Between the # of deaths each day, nearly 5,000,000 cases, Drs. and nurses talking about treating Covid patients and showing Covid wards, people spitting, hitting or pulling guns on people for being asked to wear a mask etc.  

I want to know if the children and grandchildren of those pushing schools to open are sending their kids back to the classroom, although I'm sure their private schools will be safer.

I'm tired of having to wear boots to watch the news because of all the BS being spewed.

As much as we all want to wake up one morning and have this thing gone, it is not going to go poof and disappear.

It's all too much, and even though I consider myself a tough old broad, I need a break.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Have To Back Off The News For Awhile.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 -

I thought the same thing to myself late last night after watching the news again.

I Just end up going to bed thinking about it and worrying about things,

trying to make decisions re when to safely see family, hoping no one gets sick, listening to the dire predictions,

getting mad.

I can actually go thru a lot of the day not thinking about it, especially when not watching too much of the news and that is a really nice feeling.

We'll carry on!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I'm very active in politics and watched a lot of different news channels, many hours a day, until a month or two ago.  It's all getting to me and I've had to take a step back.  I now avoid conspiracy tv. I rely on a few reliable news sources and non-partisan data/sites.  

Regular Contributor

Re: I Have To Bac.k Off The News For Awhile.

I too am absolutely exhausted by everything that is going on in our world.

It seems that some people have just been given permission to go nuts.

We are all human beings.When will we learn to treat each other with kindness.

I"m opting out of the news for now.  My mental and physical health is more important than watching the latest catastrophe. 

Trusted Contributor

I pretty much stopped watching the news a year and a half ago, I get the headlines in my emali, and even at that I delete most of that before reading.  I do get the COVID numbers updates but thats about it.  It will make you crazy and depressed and who needs it,

I prefer to pick and choose my news. I am working hard to stay safe and that includes emotional.  

I tell my sister often who watches the news all day and gets herself frazzled up, TURN THE TV OFF.  Sometimes you need a break.

Honored Contributor

I've felt that way for awhile now.  

If it's not good for us, it's time for a break.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am trying to cut back, but I have always followed current events very closely for my long life.  At this point, I am very concerned for my two grandchildren.  The schools and parents from each of the two schools they attend are having many discussions.  No decision has been made as yet, but we are all concerned for their health and well being.  They were schooled at home since March, and some schooling was continued over the summer.  My GS will be entering grade 7, and GD will be entering grade 2.  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  You're not alone.  I quit watching the National Evening News a couple of months ago, maybe more.  I don't even watch our local news anymore.  I turn in to the cable news channel to get the weather on the 1's.  Life is so much more "normal" not listening to all this gloom and doom.  I wear a mask and always carry a wipe w/me when I go to the store, but other than that, I don't even think about the virus.

As far as everything else goes, when I do see clips of people going bezerk because someone got too close to them, someone wasn't wearing their mask, people purposely coughing on other people, I wonder, wth?  Have people gone completely mad to act out this way and think it is even remotely OK?  No thank you.

I think back to my parents day, The Greatest Generation, when people actually dressed up when they travelled or left the house.  When people cooked their own food.  Men and women both volunteered to join the Armed Services to support their country and if they didn't do that, they supported the war efforts at home here in the U.S.  I just don't know what's gotten into people and their thought processes.

Anyway, sorry to stray from the topic but I've stopped not only watching the evening news, I no longer watch 'The View' or 'Dr. Phil' or any of those cable news stations for even a minute.  And I feel better for it.  At 6pm I actually watch 'The Family Feud' w/Steve Harvey as host.  He always make me laugh, and you can play along and see if you'd win the fast money at the end.  Beats gloom and doom imo.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree. The news these days is pretty miserable. I definitely watch a lot less. But I feel that it's my responsibility to stay informed or suffer the consequences of looking the other way.

Respected Contributor

I love the boards and have learned alot but this forum has gotten so arguementive about Covid issues I do not open them any more. There is so much information, misinformation and politics. The mods try and cut them off and I found myself even trying to help them with an alert when posters name call and are mean.

I am also avoiding posts here of death and dying, illinesses, depression and generally down posts. That includes pets as well as don't need to hear it. I know people are hurting and desire support but it just affects me too much.