Honored Contributor

Re: Heat wave is on the way to the west.

@Kachina624     It's already 100° at 10:00 am........also 71 days with no rain.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Forcast the next few days in North East Texas:

Friday:  99

Sat.:     103

Sun:     102

Mon:    101

Tues. and Wed.  back down to cool 99

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

One of the areas we could have moved to when our jobs ended during the early wave of Covid was Colorado via Space Command (which relocated to Florida and then decided to go to Huntsville AL....a place I lived for many years growing up). He flew out there and zoomed me homes, the area, etc. He met up with old friends and their family members who have lived there for generations. In the end, he turned it down. Why? The weather.

We've been watching the weather for a long time (doesn't matter why, we just have). I lived in CA, AZ and remember the weather issues, the heat, etc and we just knew that the west (between water issues and heat) was not going to be a good choice for us. So, he said no. 

When we informed people we were moving to FLorida, the comments about the heat were a constant theme. Let me tell ya, it's COOLER here during the summer than in MD/DC where we lived. Not joking. Every Marylander who has moved here says the exact same thing. When we go back to MD during the summer.....it's miserable. The heat plus humidity chokes you. The kids and us are used to it so it doesn't take long to re-acclimate but many who have never lived in that kind of environment rarely do. I feel for tourists during the summer as it's awful and there is no relief. 

We might be in the minority but we will base where we retire on the weather conditions and the heat ain't where it will be. Just saying. To those of you who will be facing the heat wave: stay cool and stay safe. Hugs.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee 

I've lived in Colorado for over 50 years. Extreme hot or cold weather is not a common occurrence and when it does happen it only lasts for a short while. I'm more concerned about having enough water to supply all of the people moving here. The heat can be handled but not having enough water is devastating...it puts a halt on many things.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee You are so right regarding water. When I discuss weather, it isn't just the temps but the fall out from weather conditions and water is a huge one.

Friends of ours own 175 acres in AZ near  Saddleback Mountain. They assumed they would simply drill a well or two and be fine. Dry.  Ok, so water will be piped in from the nearest location. Nope. They planned on retiringg

there and now....can't sell it, can't settle it. 

Weather conditions cause the fires, the floods, the drought, etc. Those things change air quality, land mass, ability to have a basic need such as water. It's all related and that's why the weather will play a huge part in where we retire. 

We LOVE the mountains so it was hard thing to say no to Colorado, let me tell you.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee    My parents, native Coloradoans, chose Albuquerque for retirement due to the cold and snow in Colorado.  Its a good compromise as the weather is mostly temperate but there are hot spells, as there are in most places.  They then spent summers in Colorado in their RV.

I spent about 35 years in Houston and retired to Albuquerque which seemed like heaven after my Houston years.  I would never, ever again under any circumstances consider living in a semi tropical or tropical climate.  Hated every minute of it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

In N NV, we're in the low 90s this week, well except that it's supposed to be 98 or 99 tomorrow (Fri).  It seems like every weather report is different, which is something that always drives me nuts.

I've been working on acclimating to higher temps, so as to not engage the a/c and increase the utility bill.   I tend to run hot, so it's a challenge, plus I have arthritis and asthma both of which don't do so well in heat.   

I'd like to re-condition myself to not hate the heat so much, as it's been getting hotter and hotter here for quite a few years now.  Much less winter (we used to have cold weather from Sept thru April) and snow, and much more hot months.   If I can manage to make this adjustment it would be nice.

Honored Contributor

Whoa. More people are going to die in Texas because of weather extremes and their shaky electrical grid.

That is really awful! I wish they would get off their rears and finally spend the money to fix it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee    My parents, native Coloradoans, chose Albuquerque for retirement due to the cold and snow in Colorado.  Its a good compromise as the weather is mostly temperate but there are hot spells, as there are in most places.  They then spent summers in Colorado in their RV.

I spent about 35 years in Houston and retired to Albuquerque which seemed like heaven after my Houston years.  I would never, ever again under any circumstances consider living in a semi tropical or tropical climate.  Hated every minute of it.

@Kachina624 

And dont forget to "add"to the weather in Houston, the city was built over a swamp making it even MORE humid......  It's humid in SA but not as much as H town! 

SAN ANTONIO Forecast By Meteorologist Jeannette Calle

The same hot pattern will stick around for the next 7- 10 days. Possible pattern change in about two weeks.   🥵

Mostly cloudy, warm and more humid this Thursday morning. This afternoon turning sunny and hot, but the heat won't be as intense. Highs in the upper 90s to lower 100s.

Looks like we will be seeing some Saharan dust across our area Sunday through early next week.

• Capture.PNG

FORECAST:
Thursday: Mostly Sunny. High 101

Friday: Mostly Sunny. High 102
This weekend: Sunny and hotter. Highs 103-104

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I do not want to even think about the heat inex with the temps this high.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."