Super Contributor

Re: Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer suggestions!

When a cold first starts, you get a runny nose first until the nasal passages dry out...and then you can't breathe (get stuffy). Afrin nasal spray (oxymetazalone) can be used every 12 hours and will open up your nasal passages within a couple minutes. Don't use it more than 3 days though without your doctor's permission.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer suggestions!

On 3/25/2015 AngelPuppy1 said:

Went to Med X-Press. Said that I probably started out with a cold which turned into a bad sinus infection, which then went into some sort of bronchial thing. So, I got a prescription, plus they said to continue with Mucinex and if I don't get significantly better in a few more days, to come back.

I actually was able to get some sleep last night. I still feel rotten but do see some slight improvement.

I thank you for your replies and concern!!!

I'm glad you went to the Dr. I did the same. My swab screen was negative, but since I have other chronic things, he gave me 5 day course of Amoxicillin. I can't take decongestants so I've been using Nasacort OTC and Mucinex during the day and a swig of Nyquil at night. I feel a bit better, but it looks like it's gonna be a slow road to recovery.

I hope you're feeling better.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Could it be allergies? Which I suppose you could have on top of a cold.

This is supposed to be the worst allergy season in a long time.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

Health Issue - Stuffy nose & runny nose at the same time -- can't sleep -- what to do? Please offer...

Have you been to the doctor about it? I would probably take Nyquil and try to sleep it off as much as I can.

Honored Contributor

Saline nasal spray

It is like using salt water for your throat.

Honored Contributor

I thank you for your concern and replies! It's so nice to commiserate with others. Some how when you do this, you don't feel quite as terrible!!!

Oh, my --- 3 weeks??? Oh, boy, I hope it doesn't take that long. I am exhausted right now.

Every time I start to think I am getting better, then I get worse and/or get another symptom.

I was coughing a little at the start but not real badly. Now, last night, I started getting these horrible coughing fits. You know the kind where you start coughing, can't stop, can't catch your breath and tears run down your face? I did this most of last night. So, this morning, of course, I am exhausted.

I am going to the drug store again before work and I'm going to ask the pharmacist if he has any recommendations, too.

I just never realized that you could get a stuffy nose and runny nose at the same time. Unbelievable!

I hope you all feel better --- really soon! I know --- oh, how well I know --- how miserable you feel!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Plunger, clean and unused of course.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Sister Golden Hair said:

Saline nasal spray

It is like using salt water for your throat.

I started using this (Ayr) 2 months ago, and I'm amazed how well it works for me with this specific problem, OP.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2015 JuJu Squeezie said:

Plunger, clean and unused of course.

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion of a plunger!!! LOL!!! That is next! I have tried almost everything else!!!

Thanks everyone!

What does the saline nasal spray do exactly and do you use it always or just when you have issues, i.e., the need for a plunger? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

The pharmacist recommended that I use Claritin D for the stuffy nose/runny nose, and it has helped a good bit.

Now, if I could just get this coughing under control!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin