Trusted Contributor

Re: Having to Sign for UPS Packages

@Pecky  Are these being shipped from the supplier itself instead of a QVC/HSN warehouse? Only reason I ask is the times I have had to sign for anything it was a direct supplier shipment, and they just wanted signed confirmation of delivery.  It's like when some of the drivers need to photograph the package they delivered I guess. 

Super Contributor

UPS had the program for years. It's not new however in areas that are reporting theft and claims for stolen packages going up....yeah, its going to be required in areas that are in question. Driver Release won't be a choice.
It's for your protection but it can be an inconvenience. I do believe they allow an option to sign in your place, like a reliable neighbor.
Regular Contributor

UPS always  has delivered to the door of the customer. Recently there have been problems with delivery from any company not using UPS. Our housing complex has a office some distance from most apartments. The delivery  services have taken to dropping off packages at that location, front door, back door or anywhere close. The people who work there are not postal and can not keep up with this daily deluge of boxes. So they don't!!! They shouldn't!!! The delivery service should at least notify the customer about a package drop off. Most don't bother. Even the USPS has been sloppy and they have mailboxes and delivery boxes forlarge items. I know the pay isn't great but the driver should have responsibility in the delivery. I so disgusted by this that I'm back to brick and morter.

Contributor

I was just thinking the same thing! I ordered a 25.00 blanket from Overstock.com (free shipping) and when I got the email from UPS with updated delivery information it showed signature required. I could not believe it but I live in an apartment so I thought maybe they were being protective of my package. I work at home so I am home anyway so that was not an issue but I can see if someone who is not at home during the day might have wonder how they will sign for a package. So, all day long I kept looking out the window watching for the UPS truck. Never did appear. The driver put my package in the Amazon package HUB at the apartment office and I had to go down to pick it up. So, signature really wasn’t required.

Honored Contributor

@Critter Friend That is what I am thinking.  When it happens again, I won't sign off on the signature online and see what happens.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

When I get notice from UPS about my packages being shipped it says "signature required".  I thought it was just for one thing I ordered.  I am now having to sign for a package from HSN.  There is an option to waive it online and let the driver know where to put the package which I have been doing.  I just don't know why this is happening all of a sudden. Is thing happening to anyone else?

@Pecky 

It's not "all of a sudden".  This is the natural result of so many package thefts.   Gone are the days when you could have a package delivered to your doorstep at 10am and it would still be there at 6pm.  

I think this is actually the carrier's option, especially if there has been considerable theft in your area.   

I've received emails saying signature required but then delivery was made without signature.

Some posters have suggestd that if you are employed, have the package shipped to you at work.  

Honored Contributor

There hasn't been alot of thefts in my area.  I have spoken to people in my neighborhood and they do not get the message "signature required" for their UPS deliveries and one of them gets a package pretty much every day.  I have been lucky where I had a package out for two days and it was still there when I got home.  

Honored Contributor

@Pecky 

I wonder if it has something to do w/ you being set up w/ UPS emails?

Possibly got changed in their system for signatures?

I do not get emails from UPS.  I order a ton of stuff from all over and have never signed for anything.