Respected Contributor

Re: Have you said 'NO' to remodeling?

[ Edited ]

First, @sabatini, congratulations on your new home!  I sincerely hope you and yours will be very happy there for many years to come.

I respect your common sense thinking about unnecessary remodeling, and suggest you live in the house a while to see how you use it, move around in it, and what you like, or conversely, don't like about  it.

DH and I moved into this house in 2012. I began planning during the winter of '14 about revamping the kitchen, then we began the project last summer.  

The house is twenty years old, so the cabinets are not the hot trend so prevalent on HGTV these days.  That said, though, they're in excellent condition and have nice features, i.e., slide out shelves in every one.  My friend with high-end burled maple cabinets sniffed, "Mine don't even have that."  So why would I ditch them just because they're not the newest / flashiest model?  What I did do, though, was take the largest doors to a furniture maker and had the center panels replaced with decorative glass (for about $300, total).  It made a major difference in the whole room.  New hardware helped, too.

We did replace the Formica countertop with leathered granite (which was not my first choice, but I've come to like it), the stainless steel sink with a Blanco granite composite (love, love that sink!), a fancy-shmancy faucet and new flooring.  Oh, and I put Formica on the wall as a backsplash from the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets.

The project took longer than we anticipated (don't they always?), but we stayed on budget while accomplishing a whole new look. It can be done.

Good luck with yours!  I'll be watching for updates on your progress.  Woman Happy

Typos  Grrrr

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to admit I am guilty. We bought out home in 1992.   The house Was built in 1980. Over the years we have painted the outside, put on a new roof, built a new deck, replaced the front door.......but.....

We have updated NOTHING inside Since moving in.  Original carpet, paint, flooring, the stove is still working so it is the original. Only replaced the fridge because it died.  And the water heater BUT It does not bother me that things are old. As long as they work.... And are clean, I am fine with it. I hate redecorating! I hate change.  I could care less about new, updated this or that.  I never change out my furniture. It looks like new. Why would I? I like my home comfortable...could care less what anyone else says. That is just me. 

I plan to move to a new home for our retirement years here in about 5 years. I will just move out, clean the house spic and span and sell AS IS. The new buyer can get a deal and renovate their Hearts content.  

Respected Contributor

In answer to the OP's question, no, I have never said "no" to remodeling our home. When we first moved in it was absolutely necessary to paint every room in the house because the colors were a nightmare.

After several years we started tackling the bigger jobs.  Kitchen wallpaper stripped, cabinets stripped and painted new colors, new ceramic tile on the floor, new window treatments.  Central AC was installed, new gas heater.

Then we went through window replacements throughout the house.  Built a powder room ourselves in a niche carved out of the laundry room, installed sink, toilet, built cabinets, etc.  

A few years ago, we installed new doors, storm doors.  Then we gutted the kitchen ourselves, purchased new appliances, cabinets, granite countertops, flooring, etc.

Just a few months ago we had new hardwood flooring installed in the living and dining rooms.

Next year the upstairs bathroom will probably be redone.  

"Stuff" just wears out, breaks down over time and it's not always a matter of ego to maintain and update a home. 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The one that gets me are the "outdated" white appliances.  Right up the street Lowe's and Home Depot are selling white appliances brand new but home buyers can't use them because they're outdated.   You'd think they couldn't cook a meal unless they had stainless steel.

I'm shopping for a new fridge and it will be white as I dislike the other choices, especially the new dark steel gray.  Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I desperately need new cabinets and counters but can't face the chore of emptying the old ones.

LOL, kachina! I'm the same way. Back when I was very young & had been renting a little house in So CA, the landlord decided to sell it. I bought it - mainly becuase the thought of having to move was too exhausting. Smiley LOL

I AM going to buy a new fridge - and like you - it'll be white, freezer on bottom. Nothing fancy!

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The house I currently live in was totally remodeled when I bought it. High-end finishes, crown moulding, high-end appliances (Bosch dishwasher, 6 burner Wolf range with double oven), all new wood kitchen cabinets, apron sink, tile backsplash, and quartz countertops. Hardwood floors in dining room, living room, and bedrooms. Tile floors in the kitchen and bathrooms. Granite countertops in the bathrooms. All of the bathrooms were redone with beautiful tile in the showers. Lots of built-in storage in the garage. The garage floor was painted, so it looks brand new.

When my brother and I sold my parents' house, we did a LOT of upgrades. The house sold very quickly. We had multiple offers OVER the asking price, so the remodel was DEFINITELY worth it. We more than doubled what we spent in remodling.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know I am @sabatini... While I'm not always a big fan of 'retro', I made the choice too to keep my bathrooms as they are, 60's yellow tile and all... My kitchen cabinets are sturdy, solid wood. That gosh-awful atrocious 'orange' maple though had to go, so I had them professionally stripped, primed and painted and they now look as good as anything I might have been able to afford...I added new handles and drawer pulls that completeyl changed the look... The countertops honestly had to go, but I found a reasonably priced laminate that worked perfectly with my chosen colors. Somewhere down the road, I hope to replace the kitchen floor and get a larger refrigerator... I might also opt for nicer countertops at some point, but in the meantime, I'm good with what I've got and, in some ways, opting to keep most of what I had and being forced to contain costs forced me to get more creative in making it all both work for me and reflect my tastes.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

We just got new garage doors (and openers)...omgosh, not and exciting purchase.  

But, they look nice, and work.

PS:  about the appliances: even though we are remodeling the kitchen, I still picked all while appliances.  I just prefer them.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

We flipped a coin when we moved into our home 30 years ago as to what room to remodel -- bathroom or kitchen. We could only afford at the time one room. We decided to redo the bathroom and got rid of the black tile walls, pink toilet, tub and sink and put in almond tiles with coordinating fixtures. The tiles at the time were shiny on the walls and matte for the floor. The bathroom was the original from when the house was built in the '50's.

We found out it had major termite damage on the back wall, wiring needed replacement and we did baseboard heating vs. single radiator. Vanity and medicine cabinet got changed as well.

Fast forward another 30 years-- this bathroom got redone a second time with comfort height toilet, new vanity countertop of a quartz composite as was the saddle to the room. Medicine cabinet had new mirrors installed (beveled edges to this tri view mirror) Lights above got updated to a 6 light row of G9 LED lights in brushed nickelfinish for the lights. Additional recessed lighting got added to the room and also to the tub area. We changed the almond fixtures to sandbar color from Kohler. We changed the baseboard heating to radiant flooring heat and I finally got a makeup mirror on an accordion arm installed into the matte finish wall tiles. The floor tiles are also matte finish. The most important thing is we made the bathroom handicap accessible with that higher seated toilet, no shower doors and grab bars where needed plus a shower head on a slide bar as well as a traditional shower head. We moved the controls so a person doesn't have to maneuver around the toilet to turn on the shower faucets. The tub drain works by pressing down with your foot to shut it and hitting it again with your foot to drain the tub water if a person desires a bath. Shower niches that got tiled were installed between some of the wall studs. There are two soap niches --rectangles ; one is below the area where shampoos and other liquids are shelved and the second soap niche is closer to the tub itself in case someone wants to put a soap closer to someone in a tub (like a child or a sitting adult).

It's smart and common sense to remodel if you plan to remain in your home as long as possible. Aging in place remodeling happens to everyone so grab bars, higher toilets are not stupid or falling victim to the latest fads.

Apologies for this being so long. We did keep the original medicine cabinet from the 1st remodel and kept the vanity-- some tung oil did marvels for the vanity wood.

Wow, your new bathroom sounds wonderful! I particularly agree w/ the part that I bolded. Aging in a place DOES make a difference!

There is only 1 full bath in my new place, which admittedly gave me pause....because of company, etc.

I spoke w/ a few people about removing the tub & putting in a big, walk-in shower instead. I'll eventually need a knee replacement, so my days of soaking are over.

Anyway, I was met w/ "don't do it!", especially from the Realtor, who mentioned 'selling point'; that it'd be a no-no to have a house w/out a "full bath" & FB means tub.

That's why for now - the crappy tub stays. (Plus, the tile around it is fine.)

Though I DO see her point, isn't the house for me while I live there?

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I have said no to remodeling in the past, but it was for financial reasons.   When I could, I updated rooms.  This wasn't a bad thing, because it gave me plenty of time to do research and find just what I wanted, without feeling pressured to do everything at once. 

The different contractors involved in my remodeling jobs, were always kind of surprised to learn I had everything selected, down to the smallest things. 

Respected Contributor

@Melania wrote:

I hope you got it for a really good price. Yikes.

Those items will have to replaced at some point...like appliances etc. I agree that the older items were made much better than they are now but when you go to resell it, you have to make those upgrades.

My family member did not do the upgrades they could have gradually done when they had to move due to health issues and they got150,000 less they than they could have.

Enjoy your new home!! 

LOL! Yes, I really did!

Even the home inspector said that he didn't think I could find a nicer place anywhere for the money.

And minus those flaws, it's gorgeous & unlike anywhere I've ever lived. It's all arched windows, windows, windows w/ high ceilings. The light is amazing!

My sis would say 'Typical Gemini! Air signs need light & airiness."

Muddling through...