Honored Contributor

Re: Have you said 'NO' to remodeling?

[ Edited ]

We're at a point where we would like to make some improvements to our home for us to enjoy while we can.  Anything we do increases the home's value anyway and keeps us competitive in the neighborhood.

I recently changed out the dark granite tiles and backsplash with lighter colors and it makes me happy and is easier to maintain.

Honored Contributor

The one that gets me are the "outdated" white appliances.  Right up the street Lowe's and Home Depot are selling white appliances brand new but home buyers can't use them because they're outdated.   You'd think they couldn't cook a meal unless they had stainless steel.

I'm shopping for a new fridge and it will be white as I dislike the other choices, especially the new dark steel gray.  Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I desperately need new cabinets and counters but can't face the chore of emptying the old ones.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We flipped a coin when we moved into our home 30 years ago as to what room to remodel -- bathroom or kitchen. We could only afford at the time one room. We decided to redo the bathroom and got rid of the black tile walls, pink toilet, tub and sink and put in almond tiles with coordinating fixtures. The tiles at the time were shiny on the walls and matte for the floor. The bathroom was the original from when the house was built in the '50's.

We found out it had major termite damage on the back wall, wiring needed replacement and we did baseboard heating vs. single radiator. Vanity and medicine cabinet got changed as well.

Fast forward another 30 years-- this bathroom got redone a second time with comfort height toilet, new vanity countertop of a quartz composite as was the saddle to the room. Medicine cabinet had new mirrors installed (beveled edges to this tri view mirror) Lights above got updated to a 6 light row of G9 LED lights in brushed nickelfinish for the lights. Additional recessed lighting got added to the room and also to the tub area. We changed the almond fixtures to sandbar color from Kohler. We changed the baseboard heating to radiant flooring heat and I finally got a makeup mirror on an accordion arm installed into the matte finish wall tiles. The floor tiles are also matte finish. The most important thing is we made the bathroom handicap accessible with that higher seated toilet, no shower doors and grab bars where needed plus a shower head on a slide bar as well as a traditional shower head. We moved the controls so a person doesn't have to maneuver around the toilet to turn on the shower faucets. The tub drain works by pressing down with your foot to shut it and hitting it again with your foot to drain the tub water if a person desires a bath. Shower niches that got tiled were installed between some of the wall studs. There are two soap niches --rectangles ; one is below the area where shampoos and other liquids are shelved and the second soap niche is closer to the tub itself in case someone wants to put a soap closer to someone in a tub (like a child or a sitting adult).

It's smart and common sense to remodel if you plan to remain in your home as long as possible. Aging in place remodeling happens to everyone so grab bars, higher toilets are not stupid or falling victim to the latest fads.

Apologies for this being so long. We did keep the original medicine cabinet from the 1st remodel and kept the vanity-- some tung oil did marvels for the vanity wood.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I don't have the personality to put up with a major renovation. I hate it when I have to have workmen in the house. That's just me, so my very , very old house will have to do. I know my limitations

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Sabatini, I am 1000% in agreement with you.  Remodellng something is ok, but I sure won't when something still looks fine, and works.  My good friend spent over $50,000 to completely re-do her kitchen, and she hates the cabinets.  They're beautiful, and custom built, but they don't have the great space that she had in her old ones.  We replaced our kitchen floor (it's a HUGE kitchen and dining area), with a beautiful vinyl, and we like it very much.  Next, we'll do the countertops, and I plan to use a formica type product.  (We have miles of counterspace.)  The cabinets will stay, because they are in great condition, spacious, and I think they're just fine.

As far as baths, just use a "paste" of Oxyclean on the grout, and it will look like new.  New faucets will make a nice difference. 

Not all things new are that great.  We replaced a toilet in one of our 3 bathrooms.  It was $400, but we installed it ourselves (easy).  The porcelain on it is not as nice as the old one, and is harder to keep clean.

So much for top brands nowadays.

Enjoy your home, as well as the money saved.  Your other decorating will make it "yours".  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you got it for a really good price. Yikes.

Those items will have to replaced at some point...like appliances etc. I agree that the older items were made much better than they are now but when you go to resell it, you have to make those upgrades.

My family member did not do the upgrades they could have gradually done when they had to move due to health issues and they got150,000 less they than they could have.

Enjoy your new home!! 

Respected Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

Sabatini, I am 1000% in agreement with you.  Remodellng something is ok, but I sure won't when something still looks fine, and works.  My good friend spent over $50,000 to completely re-do her kitchen, and she hates the cabinets.  They're beautiful, and custom built, but they don't have the great space that she had in her old ones.  We replaced our kitchen floor (it's a HUGE kitchen and dining area), with a beautiful vinyl, and we like it very much.  Next, we'll do the countertops, and I plan to use a formica type product.  (We have miles of counterspace.)  The cabinets will stay, because they are in great condition, spacious, and I think they're just fine.

As far as baths, just use a "paste" of Oxyclean on the grout, and it will look like new.  New faucets will make a nice difference

Not all things new are that great.  We replaced a toilet in one of our 3 bathrooms.  It was $400, but we installed it ourselves (easy).  The porcelain on it is not as nice as the old one, and is harder to keep clean.

So much for top brands nowadays.

Enjoy your home, as well as the money saved.  Your other decorating will make it "yours".  Smiley Happy

Can you imagine being married to someone like that.  Egads. How could you not get the cabinets you want when you are selecting them yourself?  Some women are never happy.  

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

@sabatini

No, we have spent since last November "demodeling". When I was in the hospital in Nov., our 2 toilets overflowed dumping huge amounts of "sewage", not just water, over most of our upstairs, and also our whole "completely" finished basement.

Finished some of the "demodeling" around January. Twice in May, 10 days apart, toilets overflowed again. These times I was home and shut the water off, but?

Still once again filled our "now unfinished basement", with water, not sewage. Because of heavy rains in our city I could not find a company to come out to remove the water. It took close to 2 weeks to get this done?

During those 2 weeks there was mold on all of my many electronic components/many of my high $$$ exercise machines/100's of LaserDiscs/CD's/DVD's/Vinyl records. Long story short short? Lost all of our furniture in a 3,200sq.ft. finished basement/many pieces of exercise machines. Total, still working on inventory of loses.

It will more than likely be at the very minimum, $50,00 worth of personal property. Still waiting on contractor to put back up removed drywall and repaint all of the basement once again.

Remodel? Nope, but thought I would give you a reverse story.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Before the days of HGTV the only time people remodeled was when things did not function anymore, or when the family just would not fit in the house any longer, and rooms had to be added. Young couples bought a small less expensive house and fixed it up a little at a time as they could afford it. This business of homeowners constantly spending huge amounts of money to keep up with the Jonses goes totally against how I was raised. We have had formica countertops our entire 33year marriage and I personally find them to be very functional and attractive. Here in our camper we have corian and I really do not see any improvement over having formica. We do small projects on our house as we can afford to and we like the warm, cozy, homey feel of it. I do not need all the newest and greatest trendy items to be happy. My DH is grateful for that.

Respected Contributor

Wrong time to ask me this, lol

We are in the middle of a lengthy renovation.  The Kitchen, and then the open concept downstairs.  

It is looking quite messy right now, but I am holding on to the "it will be worth it" thoughts.

This house is 22 yrs old, and we have redone all the rooms except the guest bathroom-- but the house is paid for and we are staying here -- and we can afford and wish to make the changes.

But, boy is it a mess right now, lol