Respected Contributor

Have you said 'NO' to remodeling?

​Hi!

I generally don't start topics, but after posting on an HGTV thread in the TV Forum, it got me to thinking.

Background: I just bought a new place, and was w/ a family member & friend while the Realtor showed us around.
'You'll definitely have to gut this bathroom', or 'This kitchen has got to go.' were the general viewpoints.
After my offer was accepted, I started getting estimates for cabinets, counters, flooring, appliances, tiling, tubs and sinks; the works.
Not only was it overwhelming, but EXPENSIVE.

Then, it suddenly dawned on me that those tacky 80s cabinets looked brand new.
Ditto for the Formica countertops.
The 30 year old stove still worked fine, looked solid as a rock, and was probably more well built than anything I could buy today.
The kitchen sink, though not what I'd prefer, was also in great shape.
The tile around the crummy, old bathtub was fine - not even any stained or missing grout.

It hit me: Why in God's name had I been so quick to jump on today's bandwagon of completely unnecessary remodeling?
Wouldn't just some paint and a few new faucets be just fine?
And who really cares, anyway?

After awhile I even started to warm to the idea, and actually felt excited about making do with what's there. Think of all the money I'll save! Yahoo!
When I told my tiny-carbon-footprint sibling about my decision, he was psyched because of the green aspect, and said 'Think of all the landfills that are piled high w/ perfectly functional stuff!'

So, my question is:
Are any of you proud to blissfully be living with outdated appliances, linoleum, Formica, melamine, etal??

Please tell. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you said 'NO' to remodeling?

Bless your sweet heart! Someone with a brain and some self control!

We have very dated bathrooms that I'm eager to redo, but the shower/tub units and sinks and toilets are all neutral white/creams, still in very good shape, and only the cabinets are what I'd call 'ugly' but still in good shape and serviceable. I did wallpaper,paint and carpet them 21 years ago when we moved in, and I'll not lie and say I wouldn't love all new and pretty, but I can't see it, as they just aren't 'bad enough' to justify money spent there.

My kitchen is rather yucky. The people before us ruined the cabinets and the drawers and their slides are plastic. Many are busted and wired together to make them usable. The counters are very old and dated and seams everywhere. This is truly the room I'd do over if I had the money, but alas, not yet, not now.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:
​Hi!

I generally don't start topics, but after posting on an HGTV thread in the TV Forum, it got me to thinking.

Background: I just bought a new place, and was w/ a family member & friend while the Realtor showed us around.
'You'll definitely have to gut this bathroom', or 'This kitchen has got to go.' were the general viewpoints.
After my offer was accepted, I started getting estimates for cabinets, counters, flooring, appliances, tiling, tubs and sinks; the works.
Not only was it overwhelming, but EXPENSIVE.

Then, it suddenly dawned on me that those tacky 80s cabinets looked brand new.
Ditto for the Formica countertops.
The 30 year old stove still worked fine, looked solid as a rock, and was probably more well built than anything I could buy today.
The kitchen sink, though not what I'd prefer, was also in great shape.
The tile around the crummy, old bathtub was fine - not even any stained or missing grout.

It hit me: Why in God's name had I been so quick to jump on today's bandwagon of completely unnecessary remodeling?
Wouldn't just some paint and a few new faucets be just fine?
And who really cares, anyway?

After awhile I even started to warm to the idea, and actually felt excited about making do with what's there. Think of all the money I'll save! Yahoo!
When I told my tiny-carbon-footprint sibling about my decision, he was psyched because of the green aspect, and said 'Think of all the landfills that are piled high w/ perfectly functional stuff!'

So, my question is:
Are any of you proud to blissfully be living with outdated appliances, linoleum, Formica, melamine, etal??

Please tell. Thanks! Smiley Happy

@sabatini

I don't think I know anyone who has moved into a new place and didn't do SOMETHING to make it their own .... it might have been a major re-model to customize the home, or just new carpeting, a coat of paint, or throw rugs.   

While it certainly saves money to "do nothing" and live in someone else's version of home decorating, most people want to make the home more comfy and in line with their personal taste.

Honored Contributor

What a fun subject!  I LOVE looking at houses and have never minded moving.  I prefer updated looks but have painted and scrubbed clean my way into a 70's kitchen as well.

My favorite is older homes but get scared of the "insides" being not up to code, not updated and no one can see the electrical and plumbing, but late 1800's to the 40's (skipping the 30's, not my style).... and I can easily skip the 70's as well...

I personally can live with a lot as long as it's clean.... and it works....

But new and updated is thrilling as well and we did that to the house we left in So. Ca.  It sold quickly and well, it was gorgeous.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

We totally redid the kitchen in that house, and all the cabinets went into garages or outhouses (us, family and friends).  We did repurpose a lot of the better stuff that came out.... felt great about that! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I don't think I know anyone who has moved into a new place and didn't do SOMETHING to make it their own .... it might have been a major re-model to customize the home, or just new carpeting, a coat of paint, or throw rugs.   

While it certainly saves money to "do nothing" and live in someone else's version of home decorating, most people want to make the home more comfy and in line with their personal taste.

Hi Tinkerbell!

I specifically mentioned paint & faucets, but regardless....I said no "remodeling', not no decorating. Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

My last house was very outdated.  Had an avocado green kitchen sink with white lament countertops, shag carpeting throughout and wood paneling in the family room.  I would have gladly opted for new everything, but that wasn't realistic.  In the nine years I lived there, I put tons of sweat into updating what I could.  

My next house, which is the current house, was new construction.  I had a job transfer and moved to a new state with a much lower cost of living. At the time, I loved my fixer upper.  Now I love having nothing to fix up.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

What a fun subject!  I LOVE looking at houses and have never minded moving.  I prefer updated looks but have painted and scrubbed clean my way into a 70's kitchen as well.

My favorite is older homes but get scared of the "insides" being not up to code, not updated and no one can see the electrical and plumbing, but late 1800's to the 40's (skipping the 30's, not my style).... and I can easily skip the 70's as well...

I personally can live with a lot as long as it's clean.... and it works....

But new and updated is thrilling as well and we did that to the house we left in So. Ca.  It sold quickly and well, it was gorgeous.....  

Hi Q!

Maybe the fact that we like old houses is helpful? My last place was an old house from the 1800s, & that kind of house can make you fearless!

'What lies beneath...' LOL!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

You are right! Don't rush into anything right now. After you move in and live there THEN decide what changes you want to make.

Maybe a few changes will make a big difference and save you lots of money. You are so right probably if you replace appliances, cabinets or counters - the  new stuff will not hold up as well as what you have now. 

My bathroom is original tile and I have no desire to replace it. The tile is so easy to clean and I can use anything on it. We replaced the sink in the bathroom and one time when I cleaned the "new" sink I scratched it. It was not porcelain like the other tiles.

Enjoy your new place. And listen to yourself about what you want to replace and what you want to stay.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Bless your sweet heart! Someone with a brain and some self control!

We have very dated bathrooms that I'm eager to redo, but the shower/tub units and sinks and toilets are all neutral white/creams, still in very good shape, and only the cabinets are what I'd call 'ugly' but still in good shape and serviceable. I did wallpaper,paint and carpet them 21 years ago when we moved in, and I'll not lie and say I wouldn't love all new and pretty, but I can't see it, as they just aren't 'bad enough' to justify money spent there.

My kitchen is rather yucky. The people before us ruined the cabinets and the drawers and their slides are plastic. Many are busted and wired together to make them usable. The counters are very old and dated and seams everywhere. This is truly the room I'd do over if I had the money, but alas, not yet, not now.

But just think, if you'd remodeled back when you moved in, it'd all be out of date by now!

Muddling through...