Honored Contributor

Have you noticed Store Hours?

I have a mall basically next door but actually 3 buildings down from me.  Anyway, since they opened, Macy is only open from 11 am to 7 pm Sunday thru Saturday and some of their stores on 2 days until 8 pm.  Gosh, mall hours were always 9 am to 9 pm.  I am wondering if they are trying to save money on electricity closing earlier and possibly less hours for employees to save money.  Retail was hit badly from COVID 19.  Anyone else notice hours different in their area for large retail stores.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you noticed Store Hours?

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have a mall basically next door but actually 3 buildings down from me.  Anyway, since they opened, Macy is only open from 11 am to 7 pm Sunday thru Saturday and some of their stores on 2 days until 8 pm.  Gosh, mall hours were always 9 am to 9 pm.  I am wondering if they are trying to save money on electricity closing earlier and possibly less hours for employees to save money.  Retail was hit badly from COVID 19.  Anyone else notice hours different in their area for large retail stores.

Not enough staff to cover the shifts, that's the issue where I live. Even the Wal Mart nearest to me closes at 8:30

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 I'm  in retail after teaching, and in this town, people go home, make dinner and stay in for the most part.

The store doesn't want to pay salaries and expenses when there are no customers. 

The virus has also kept people home.  They won't buy new summer items when they didn't even get to wear what they already have.

Respected Contributor

I have noticed but it doesn't matter to me.  I haven't been in a mall since February.  Malls just recently reopened in NJ but I have no desire to enter one.  I want to avoid unnecessary trips out.  

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 to give you a better idea, where I live the population swells due to tourists. Hotel, mall, shopping centers, restaurants and Mom and Pop stores count on tourist. Despite the pandemic it has not slowed down the annual vacationers. But....... the usual students from all over the world have not come to fill the plentiful jobs that are here for the asking. So The Dollar Tree is forced to close at 6 pm , Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Homegoods all close at 7pm.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I imagine it's not enough customers to justify longer hours.  Many, many of us are not going to stores.  I don't even know if our mall stores are open.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Don't know and don't care about store hours.  I have no interest in shopping for anything other than for groceries and absolute necessities.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to the mall yesterday. Our mall is open from 11am  6pm. Most stores don't want to pay for a second shift of workers. Plus a lot of workers may be sick or just afraid to return to work.

The mall was busier than I thought it would be. 

Valued Contributor

Many cities and states have put curfews in place.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple   With so many people on unemployment or their unemployment ran out, you would think they would want a job.  I strictly shop for groceries and also go to Target every once in a while.  Everything else is done online and has been for over 5 years.

kindness is strength