Respected Contributor

Yes, although cute are a nuisance. I have had them chew holes in plastic garbage cans to get to my dog food stored in them. They continually dig holes I have to cover up and reseed the grass. I had five drown in the kiddie pool put out for my dog. They are alot of entertainment for my dogs to chase and run up the rain spouts. Very fast.  I have had a dog let one loose in the house. I got it in one room and took the screen off. He figured it it out. They can store alot. The drained a 50 pound bag of whole corn. I find a boot full of corn sometimes in the garage. They do clean up scattered seed out of the bird feeder. I have hand fed them and had them crawl on me in the lawn chair to eat out of my hand. Some summers there are more but less this year being dry.

Red Squirrels are worse chewing wires in the car, chewing wood and getting into campers and demolishing them inside. They keep coming back every year and don't forget.

Honored Contributor

SIL has a lot of groundhogs around her property. Very cute chipmunk.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

All summer I've been putting peanuts in the driveway for a chipmunk (I think there are two, but one is very skittish).  Any way, as the weeks went by I started moving the little pile of peanuts closer to my fron steps, then up on the steps, and then the porch.  Today he, Buddy as a names him, came right up next to me and put his little feet on my leg.  I have him eating out of my hand too.  He's so cute.

@rms1954 

Such a sweet story......Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

if you have a pair you can look forward to many new cute friends:  Female chipmunks have one or two litters per year, each with four or five babies

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

When our sons were young, DH trained a squirrel that used to come on the deck railing for peanuts.  It wasn't long before "Fluffy" began to take shelled peanuts out of our hands.  Once he came in the house when I had the kitchen door open.  I just stood behind him and he walked out through the greatroom to the kitchen door.

Fluffy got a parasite on his neck that was a big black knot.  We cured him.  I shared bits of a steroid capsule on peanut butter crackers I was on for cystic acne.  He lived a long time.

I found this Tom Clark retired squrrel on vacation and bout him to remember Fluffy.  He goes well with my primitive antiques!

Tom Clark, Wolfe signed Squirrel, Olga - Jun 16, 2018 | Ole Hound Auction  House in GA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Have a Chipmunk Friend

[ Edited ]

Watching Fox News yesterday, a commentator filmed a chipmunk coming up to his hand reaching for nuts, the bet was how many do you think the chipmunk can get in it's mouth, that little guy/gal stuffed 8 nuts into it's mouth, you could see his little cheeks filling up, it was cute, but I know they can be disastrous!