Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Called Back A Wrong Number

Jordan2 wrote:

lavinia5534 wrote:

KatieB wrote:

No why would I call  back a wrong number????   That make no sense....

Posters explained in the thread.  They get voice mails and try to help people.

Smiley Happy

I'm the OP. I'm not looking for a lifelong friend I just think it's a kind thing to do. 

My observation is that some folks on this board don't read the OP, or any of the posts.  They just read the thread title only.   It's unusual, but one of the things that makes this place unique.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

The same woman who called my number (she left a message and I called her back) called again and left a message! She sounds elderly and I feel bad for her but am I expected to call her again? I feel that she's on her own.

Honored Contributor

I've had 2 different doctor's offices one called with mammogram results, and other involved checking on treatment for someone (neither were my doctor or medical office) ...I called the offices back to advise they called the wrong number....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Jordan2 wrote:

The same woman who called my number (she left a message and I called her back) called again and left a message! She sounds elderly and I feel bad for her but am I expected to call her again? I feel that she's on her own.

I think what I would do is call her ONE more time.  I would establish what number she is trying to reach.  If the number she gives is one other than yours I would stress that she is dialing wrong.  If the number she gives is your number, then I would stress that she's calling the wrong number and this is NOT the number of the person she is trying to reach.

After that, I'd just delete the messages if she keeps calling.  I figure two times is good.  Smiley Happy    But that's me and she's not calling me, so it's easy for me to say.   You might just have had enough already - I dont' know. 

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@cookinfreak  I was getting calls like you described.  Their message was vague, but I called them back anyway because I was getting curious and annoyed at the same time.  Turns out they were trying to track down my ex-BIL who I hadn't any contact with for over 15 years.  Somewhere along the line he must have put our phone number down on a document.

Anyway, this company had bought out his collection case and they were trying to get a lead on where he was now living.  I spoke with a very nice person and she told me she would remove my telephone number from their files.  I never heard from them again.

@Allegheny  My aunt had a similar experience.....she received a call from a collection agency looking for her EX-daughter-in-law, she asked the guy if he knew who he was calling since she was the person's EX-Mother-in-Law ........she said she knew no idea where ther EX-DIL was, nor did she want to know, and just like this woman cheated on her son, it looks like she also cheated the company out of their money too......

But my aunt was concerned about how they got her name/number since she had moved and changed her phone number and her Ex-DIL did not have access to her new information so how did they know she was at one time connected to the Ex.....the guy told her they used a computer program that gave them background info ---including names and phone numbers of possible relatives---and her information was on the list......he apologized and said he made a notation so they wouldn't bother her again ......

an interesting call...

@Allegheny  perhaps that's how your information came up for your ex-BIL.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I think what I would do is call her ONE more time.  I would establish what number she is trying to reach.  If the number she gives is one other than yours I would stress that she is dialing wrong.  If the number she gives is your number, then I would stress that she's calling the wrong number and this is NOT the number of the person she is trying to reach.

After that, I'd just delete the messages if she keeps calling.  I figure two times is good.  Smiley Happy    But that's me and she's not calling me, so it's easy for me to say.   You might just have had enough already - I dont' know. 

If she calls again maybe I'll call her back. She must have my number, I can't see her misdialing twice. You'd think the person she wanted to speak to would give her a call since she hasn't heard from her.

Respected Contributor

there was a guy that used to leave these long-winded messages (on micro-tape) on my answering machine (pre cell days)  i had just moved and had a new phone number, but was rarely home because i traveled for work.

he would go on and on with 10 minute monologues  about his vacations with his wife . it seemed like they may have been college friends, but the friend he kept calling (me)  never gave him a new number.  i could see why because he was a blowhard. because he was obviously married i hesitated to call him - you know how that goes

finally one day after i was greeted by another long winded message that ate up my tape!! ,  i called him back and left a message on HIS machine. i said, i enjoy your travel stories very much but your friend Jimmy John no longer has this phone #.  please stop calling.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt

I am sure that is exactly how they managed to get my phone number when trying to locate my ex-BIL.  After divorcing his brother, I kept the same address and phone number.

It was just kind of creepy because my ex-husband (his brother) had been dead for 14 years and I had been remarried for 13 years.