Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Called Back A Wrong Number

Not a call-back exactly, but one very early (6-7 am) Sunday morning I had a call from Iran. They started to leave a voicemail in Farsi and I picked up. They spoke a very few words of English. I tried to make them understand they had a wrong number (huge Persian population in my city), but They apparently didn't get it, as they called back same time next Sunday. I tried again, not having much hope, but after that no more calls. I wished I could have helped them some way. Sounded like a nice family call. I hope they eventually found the person.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I have had instances where a doctor's office, dentist's office, or a car repair place has left a message on my number when the call was not for me.  I always call and let them know, and I hope that anyone would do the same. It is so easy to transpose a number that I am surprised that it does not happen more often.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

A few weeks ago I got a call past my bedtime, lol, and didn't answer it because it was an area code and number I didn't recognize. The next morning, I received a text with a picture of a stork carrying a baby calf. I then listened to the message, it was a cattle company saying they would deliver my calves early in the morning. I called them right away, convincing them that the load of baby calves wouldn't fit in my house. Yes, we did get it straightened out, they weren't my calves!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

Yes, about four times in a row! A man from Texas kept calling my number insisting it was his daughter's phone number. It wasn't because he finally stopped. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've done this several times, and right off the top of my head I can recall one that happened years ago when most people did not have cell phones.

It was a call from a young-sounding male.  He left a voicemail message clearly intended for his girlfriend.  He said he was sorry about their argument, he still loved her, and he didn't want their relationship to end.  He sounded pretty distraught and kind of teary.   He said he wanted to get together to talk, and she should let him know if she wanted the same.  If he didn't hear from her, he wouldn't bother her again.

I didn't know what to do!  I thought he would probably be really embarrassed to know that someone else (me) had heard his message because it was quite emotional.  But I couldn't let him sit there and wait for a call that was never going to come.  And I couldn't let it be my fault that this couple might have gotten back together if only she had heard his message.  So I called, intending to simply tell him that he had called the wrong number.  But his mother answered the phone!  I hadn't expected that, so now I had a real dilemma.  It was awkward enough between me & him, and I certainly didn't want to bring his mother into it!

I thought quickly, and and simply asked to speak to him.  She asked who I was (very suspiciously, since I guess I sounded like a strange older woman), so I said that he didn't know me but I would appreciate if if she could please just let him know that he had recently called someone but reached my voicemail by mistake.  She said she would tell him, and as she hung up, I heard her telling him what I had said.  

I hope I handled it delicately enough.  I hope his mother didn't hate the girl and/or push him for details.  Most of all, I hope he called that girl again and I hope she called him  back.  I love a love story!!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Never

and if I were to get an annoying call, I would block it after the 3rd call

Honored Contributor

Last night I was reading the Reader's Digest and there was this one story where somebody answered a ringing pay phone.  It was a call meant for somebody else but he was enamored by the voice of the young lady on the other end and they talked for a long time.

They were from different parts of the country and ended up becoming pen pals.

Six months later he was going to her part of the country and the set up a meeting.  He said that it was love at first sight and they are celebrating their 30th anniversary this year.

Pretty cool!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes. I used to have an eldery woman who called my number several times a month from a nursing home when she was trying to reach their office. "This is Lorraine in 305" is how her conversation started each time. One time her son left a message that something was being delivered to her - I called him back to let him know he dialed wrong and actually gave him the right number  to call (I knew it by heart because I gave it to Lorraine so many times! lol)

One night Lorraine called while I was in the bathroom. She left a message that she dropped a lit cigarette and couldn't find it. OMG! I immediately called security at the nursing home and told the guard. He thanked me and said he would take care of it.

I called the guard the next day to find out if they found the cigarette (they did) and asked him if there was a way they could give Lorraine a phone with pre-programed numbers in it. He said he would speak to her son about it. I guess they did it because I never heard from her again. 

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I had two interesting experiences with this some years ago.  My phone rang early one morning, and I couldn't get there in time to answer.  It showed a  number from Boston, where I have cousins, so I called the number back.  A Priest answered. He identified himself securely and asked my name, which I gave him.  He told me that he was pretty sure he had my son in the hospital, extremely critical, and wanted to know if I could come to Boston right away.

I told him my son had just left for work so I was sure the call wasn't meant for me. He had correctly dialed the number he had.  He said they had found the number in the young man's pocket, and that the only word they had been able to get from the man was "green".  I was baffled and the Priest was as well.  But the situation bothered me as I drove in to work. I decided to try the telephone company -after some time on the phone, it turned out that my number was the same as that of a party living in Shreveport, La, with a different area code.  I tried that number, but there was no answer so I called the police in Shreveport and gave them the information I had.  The person who answered went looking for them, giving them the message to call me.  They lived on Green Street. I gave them the info and had them call the Priest.  He called me back and told me that the young man had passed, and he was blessed that a total stranger had taken the time to help him.  A week later, I received the most incredible basket of flowers I have ever seen, with a letter of thanks from this very special man, explaining that if I had not helped him , the young man would have been buried as an unidetified person.  We exchanged letters and cards for a number of years, but his stopped one day.  I phoned his Parish to see if he was alright, and learned he had passed.  They asked how I knew him, and as soon as they heard my name they recounted the wrong number story to me. I have always been so glad that I made that phone call.

Thanks for sharing this touching story. 

Honored Contributor

@lavinia5534 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

No why would I call  back a wrong number????   That make no sense....

Posters explained in the thread.  They get voice mails and try to help people.

Smiley Happy

I'm the OP. I'm not looking for a lifelong friend I just think it's a kind thing to do.