Trusted Contributor

Re: Haunting Account Of Titanic Passenger

The best movie made about the Titanic was the British movie, "A Night to Remember", made in 1958. TCM shows it every so often. It is a semi-documentary and is much better than the James Cameron film. 

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47   Thanks for sharing the movie recommendation.

I will definitely check it out.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Valued Contributor

Thanks @Buffalogal47. I haven't seen that version. I did read that it's considered to be highly regarded as the most accurate by Titanic historians and survivors. In fact, some survivors participated in the making of the film.

I don't have TCM so I'm going to have find it somewhere else. Any ideas?

I saw the 1953 version with Clifton Webb (loved him in "Cheaper by the Dozen") which wasn't bad and of course James Cameron's film.
Valued Contributor

If anyone is interested, I found it on Amazon Prime Video, $3.99 to rent. Yeah!! Will definitely watch.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those who have seen A Night to Remember may recall the scene of a young woman rushing back to her first class stateroom to retrieve her "lucky pig" before getting to a lifeboat. 

It was based upon the true story of Edith Rosenbaum.  She used the music box pig, a gift from her mother, to calm frightened children in her life boat and served as a film advisor.  She had been in Paris as a correspondent for Womens Wear Daily.

The pig was bequeathed to the book's author Walter Lord and now is in the National Maritime Museum.  The Museum also holds Miss Rosenbaum's slippers worn in the lifeboat.   She died in 1975, age 95.

Edith with the pig and the actress who portrayed her:

musicaltitanicpig02.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@sugar plum 

It's available to rent or buy on Amazon Prime. Check it out; it's a great movie. 

Valued Contributor

@Buffalogal47 🙂

I started watching it earlier this evening, when I was rudely interrupted. 🙄 Will try again tomorrow night. I think I have 48 hours on the rental...