Honored Contributor

Re: Has your attitude about shopping changed since 2019?

@Sooner   I have made changes, too, but mine are different from yours.  I still prefer to do my own shopping, but whether I am buying food or clothes, I now work from  lists.  

I tend to buy the same supermarket products repeatedly, so I organize to avoid browsing.  Most of what I used to buy when I browsed more isn't healthy for the body I have today anyway.

As for clothes?  The fewer I buy, the happier I am right now.  Maybe ironic, but yesterday my mail included a Susan Graver top.  It marks my first QVC clothing purchase of 2022; it could well also be my last clothing buy anywhere this year.  

Honored Contributor

Nothing has changed for me.  I never stopped going into stores.  I like to pick out my own groceries.  I don't like other people picking it out for me.  

Honored Contributor

I have gone to the grocery store throughout the entire pandemic.  I never stopped.  I tried Instacart a few times-too expensive.  And I am not interested in curbside pickup. I like to get out and do my own shopping. I plan to never stop unless I am physically unable to go.

I don't like to stay home all the time so I go out and run my errands. Do I online shop?  Yep, I'm the queen of that.  Do I walk through the malls like I used to?   No, but I went to Dillards and Macys the other day. Pretty brief stops in each.  I went for specific purposes, not just to browse.

I still go to Target, CVS, local gift shops, wherever I want to go.  I am home an awful lot.  I like to try to get out of here and see other people, even if they're strangers.  And I go out to lunch quite a bit.  Usually by myself, but there are 2 restaurants that I am comfortable with Covid wise and eating alone wise.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

No changes here.  I've never enjoyed shopping.  I view grocery shopping as a necessary evil on the way to cooking, which I do enjoy.  All other shopping is done on the internet and delivered to my home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, for me. I now have as many 'necessities' delivered as possible. I never liked grocery shopping anyway, though I do find I obtain overall better and fresher food products when I shop for them myself. As for recreational shopping, I used to enjoy it somewhat on a semi-regular basis. I shop in person for 'fun' only rarely now. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I  never stopped going to the grocery store or Target.  I prefer to do my own shopping.  There are things I decide to get based on availability or how they look.  

I do quite a bit of online shopping.  I prefer to shop in person, but the availability is somewhat limited.  

Honored Contributor

I have never enjoyed Grocery Shopping, but my husband likes it and since he does the majority of the cooking he does most of the grocery shopping.''

I still enjoy shopping, but not as much as years ago, when every weekend was spent in some kind of mall, or store....I do a lot of shopping online for clothes. I still enjoy Ulta, Sephor, and Macys's and other stores though.....Some things to me are just better seen in person! I tend to stay away when stores are super crowded though, like at Christmas Time!!! 

Honored Contributor

Well my attitude hasn't changed although there are still some things that are hard to find I guess because of pandemic/supply issues.

Tried online and home delivery for about 2 weeks and was disappointed by the produce that was picked out for me, which is about 95% of my daily intake. 

It was expensive and tiresome to have to deal with paying for organic and getting conventional and the hassles of getting it straightened out. 

Plus, food was delivered several times to an address about 4 miles away no matter how many times we told our *shopper* to ignore GPS directions....we were minutes away from the grocery store.

And then feel obligated to tip on top of that?  No thanks.

I mask up (---just started since the numbers are high again) and still wipe everything down before it gets put away.

I like to grocery shop, always have.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Early in the pandemic, I took advantage of the Senior Hour at my local BJ's. In addition to limiting exposure, it gave me early access to merchandise that was in short supply. When DH and I had Covid, I used Instacart to shop and was pleasantly surprised at how well they did. I like to select my own food, especially meat and produce, and they did a great job. Now, I shop as usual, but I wipe down the shopping cart handle before I start shopping.

Regarding clothing, I went a little wild when Talbots ran flash sales in 2020 to move all the clothing sitting in their warehouse with no stores open to ship it to. I'm still pinching myself over some of the great bargains I got, especially when I see some of my purchases selling for $100 more than I paid. Now, I still shop in some brick & mortar shops, but do most of my shopping online. The selection is much better, plus I get free shipping and returns. 

One big change that I made as a result of the pandemic was that I rediscovered a local, long-standing, family-run farm market a couple of towns over. Prior to the pandemic, I'd get fresh produce at one of several farmers markets that was open in the next town over on Sunday mornings. Again, I needed to check out the corn, tomatoes and peaches to make sure they were just right. Once the pandemic struck, that market had such a convoluted system that it defeated the purpose (at least for me). A friend recommended this family-run market and I've been going there ever since. They followed the Covid protocols in a sensible way. Best of all, they're open 7 days a week, so I have the option of buying less produce at a time because I can just go back later in the week if I need more. Win-win!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We have had surprising luck with produce in our 2 years of pickups and deliveries.  A couple of people have told me that at those stores at least a lot of the produce is shopped from back and is actually fresher than what is out.  Who knows!

We do buy meat from a butcher shop or pickup at Whole Foods, which is OKC has excellent meat products.