Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone received the census form?

OK, I called the Census Bureau, because there are so many scammers out there, and they said they are sending some surveys to some people, but it's not the actual census form.

Trusted Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:
Do I have to respond to the American Community Survey (ACS)?

Yes. You are legally obligated to answer all the questions, as accurately as you can.

The relevant laws are Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

Your answers are important. As part of a sample, you represent many other people. Find out how each question helps your community, your state, and the federal government in questions on the form and why we ask.

you can respond via internet, phone, mail, or in person.....if you dont want someone showing up at your door, it is probably best to choose one of the other options. it is an ongoing survey and is sent to approximately 295,000 addresses monthly (or 3.5 million per year), it is the largest household survey that the Census Bureau administers.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/

We've been involved in this survey also. I wasn't asked to do it online. We had someone come to our door. I told her that she could call me back on the phone after I verified that it was legitimate. She called once a month for 4 months. Now we are on an 8 month hiatus. Then she will call once a month for 4 months again. She asked some fairly personal questions about income, expenditures, etc. If I didn't want to answer the question, I just told her that I didn't know. The questions were linked to our address...not our names. If we move in the next 8 months, they will still use whoever is at this address.

This census stuff has gotten crazy. I don't think they have any business asking this stuff. Last I knew the census was supposed to count people and that's it. I'd have to do some research about how if morphed into this.

Trusted Contributor

If you read the form its a census pre form(not the legit name but testing internet responses) the actual census is do 2020 i refuse to do 2 census so the govt can test their system
Honored Contributor

Birki lady

dh and i have lived at this address for over 30 years, have had check account, pay water,lights and all other bills and house payment,filed taxes for past 50 yrs.  I even called our congress person and still never recieved a census form. we filled out every form we ever got. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The census forms will NOT be mailed out until 2020. Right now they are compliling a list of addresses of household throughout the U.S. Unless you are having some kind of off year state census, the Federal Census occurs every 10 years. The last one was in 2010. Do not send something in, and by all means don't send it via the internet. This sounds very suspicious to me given all the other scams that are perpetrated these days. When I DO get mine, I will gladly fill it out, except for one thing: if it asks me if I'm a citizen, I will leave it blank. There's a hidden agenda there and it's political.

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:
Do I have to respond to the American Community Survey (ACS)?

Yes. You are legally obligated to answer all the questions, as accurately as you can.

The relevant laws are Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

Your answers are important. As part of a sample, you represent many other people. Find out how each question helps your community, your state, and the federal government in questions on the form and why we ask.

you can respond via internet, phone, mail, or in person.....if you dont want someone showing up at your door, it is probably best to choose one of the other options. it is an ongoing survey and is sent to approximately 295,000 addresses monthly (or 3.5 million per year), it is the largest household survey that the Census Bureau administers.

We've been involved in this survey also. I wasn't asked to do it online. We had someone come to our door. I told her that she could call me back on the phone after I verified that it was legitimate. She called once a month for 4 months. Now we are on an 8 month hiatus. Then she will call once a month for 4 months again. She asked some fairly personal questions about income, expenditures, etc. If I didn't want to answer the question, I just told her that I didn't know. The questions were linked to our address...not our names. If we move in the next 8 months, they will still use whoever is at this address.

@Yardlie- That was a different one.  We also got that one last year and it was voluntary.  Like the good-minded citizens we are, we agreed to participate.  Never again!  It took so much time and asked so many detailed questions.  My DH is very organized and could access the info she needed but, if she had relied on me, she'd have gotten very little information.

The second time someone showed up, it was a different person.  She arrived at night (not when we expected) and parked on our lawn in front of our doorstep!  We're rural and have a long unlit drive, but honestly...she had headlights on her car!  I asked her to please move her car back onto our driveway before she came in.  Sheesh!

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

The census forms will NOT be mailed out until 2020. Right now they are compliling a list of addresses of household throughout the U.S. Unless you are having some kind of off year state census, the Federal Census occurs every 10 years. The last one was in 2010. Do not send something in, and by all means don't send it via the internet. This sounds very suspicious to me given all the other scams that are perpetrated these days. When I DO get mine, I will gladly fill it out, except for one thing: if it asks me if I'm a citizen, I will leave it blank. There's a hidden agenda there and it's political.

@RainCityWoman

the american community survey is totally legitimate and comes out of the federal census bureau. it can come to you at any time (not just in a census year) and is required by law. it is sent to a small percentage of the population on a rotating basis. it helps your community and it helps determine how federal funds are distributed for things like infrastructure, community services, schools and hospitals, and more.

The U.S. Census Bureau conducts more than 130 surveys each year, including our nation's largest:

• household survey, the American Community Survey
• business survey, Annual Retail Trade

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/surveys-programs.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I guess in the future I will do the ones that are required by law, but not the voluntary ones. The lady who has been doing ours does not tell us what the questions for the next month will be. She calls and expects me to spit the information out on the spur of the moment. I keep telling her that I am running a house and caring for my 93 y.o. mother with dementia. I told her that if she would let me know in advance what the questions are, I would try to have the answers for her when she calls. She said she can't do that...I'm not buying that. The last time she called I found myself getting rather testy with her because she couldn't believe that I just couldn't pop the answers off. She said that most people just know these things (food expenses, medical expenses, insurance premiums, income from all sources). I told her that I would just as soon drop out of the survey, and she just about went ballistic.  She won't be calling now for 8 months, and I may not continue participation. I'm thinking of calling the Census Bureau and asking some questions about how this survey should be conducted.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I’m not giving this bunch in control any of my personal information.

Honored Contributor

How do they know you received it?