Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone received the census form?

There is something called the American Community Survey that goes out to a certain number of people every year. It should say that on the form.

The country wide Census is every 10 years and due up again in 2020.

Trusted Contributor

It is called the American Community Survey. And, I thought the official census was not due yet. I am going to call my representative tomorrow and ask what are my obligations in completing this form. I really appreciate all your views.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deanie  I would think the Census would be done like a stockholder's Proxy form. Either you mail it back it, you go on-line OR possible we may be able to respond over the phone by keypad. Everyone will receive one; not everyone has access to a computer. Interesting world we live in.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Do I have to respond to the American Community Survey (ACS)?

Yes. You are legally obligated to answer all the questions, as accurately as you can.

The relevant laws are Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

Your answers are important. As part of a sample, you represent many other people. Find out how each question helps your community, your state, and the federal government in questions on the form and why we ask.

you can respond via internet, phone, mail, or in person.....if you dont want someone showing up at your door, it is probably best to choose one of the other options. it is an ongoing survey and is sent to approximately 295,000 addresses monthly (or 3.5 million per year), it is the largest household survey that the Census Bureau administers.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1wrote:

I got one today, and it stated that if you don't file through the Internet, you will automatically receive a paper one to fill out.

@QVCkitty1- That's exactly what my brother got and he did fill in and return the paper one.  It is not, as some posters are suggesting, a scam.

(ETA:  I spoke to my DH.  We also got one and he filled it in online.)

Respected Contributor

This is the first I've heard of census forms, so I am glad to read this thread.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I was NOT even counted last census.

So I probably won't get anything this time around.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@viva923  Do you have a mailing address, bank account, income, file a tax return, own a car or property, etc.? If so, the government knows you are there! You'll receive the survey and be counted. We are all included. Perhaps you have forgotten completing the forms from 10 years ago.    

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:
Do I have to respond to the American Community Survey (ACS)?

Yes. You are legally obligated to answer all the questions, as accurately as you can.

The relevant laws are Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

Your answers are important. As part of a sample, you represent many other people. Find out how each question helps your community, your state, and the federal government in questions on the form and why we ask.

you can respond via internet, phone, mail, or in person.....if you dont want someone showing up at your door, it is probably best to choose one of the other options. it is an ongoing survey and is sent to approximately 295,000 addresses monthly (or 3.5 million per year), it is the largest household survey that the Census Bureau administers.

We've been involved in this survey also. I wasn't asked to do it online. We had someone come to our door. I told her that she could call me back on the phone after I verified that it was legitimate. She called once a month for 4 months. Now we are on an 8 month hiatus. Then she will call once a month for 4 months again. She asked some fairly personal questions about income, expenditures, etc. If I didn't want to answer the question, I just told her that I didn't know. The questions were linked to our address...not our names. If we move in the next 8 months, they will still use whoever is at this address.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Frequent Contributor

The next census forms won't be sent until 2020.