Respected Contributor

Has Your Car Insurance Increased?

Just received my car insurance policy today and can't believe the increase in every category! Up $200. from last  year. Last year we switched insurance because of the increase. My husband and I have great driving records no tickets etc. So we got this new insurance Arbella and it was great now this has a  huge increase. I guess I will have to search for another policy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has Your Car Insurance Increased?

Mine increased. No tickets, great credit and 20 years with the same company. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, our car insurance went up as well...$50 increase this year  for two vehicles, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Uninsured drivers having accidents is one factor according to my agent.

Honored Contributor

Yes mine went up and I had a discussion about that with my agent. I asked why the increase? My agent told me it's a combination of several factors, one being the increased cost of replacing high-tech parts in today's cars. Another reason my agent said was because of distracted driving accident numbers have gone up. Other factors he mentioned were storm-related and higher cost of medical care due to injuries.

Respected Contributor

Our insurance increased last year. We began looking at other companies and found better rates. We called our agent and told her that we had found a cheaper rate for the same coverage. 

Miraculously our agent was able to beat the new rate.

From what I’ve researched, insurance companies take their loyal customers for granted. They assume we won’t go thru the hassle of shopping for a different insurer.

Trusted Contributor

dont even get me started  lol  i started a post about my car ins. yrs ago in here.. i have allstate and every i'd say 2 yrs it goes up.. and i have a 17 yr old car,, no accidents.. only drive like 5,000  miles a yr.. i did contact them about this about 2 yrs ago.. my agent was real nice and gave me a "newer policy"  my policy was from when i was 17.. and they kept me as being with them for 30 plus yrs ..  but even after that it went up the next yr by about 100.00 or more for the yr... im getting a brand new car this week.. i hate to see what my ins. will be with a brand new car!!  i may have to switch ins. companies.. but i really hate to after being with them all these yrs

Respected Contributor

My car insurance has increased somewhat.  All of the reasons mentioned by other posters from their insurance agents are logical reasons for the increases.

I'm not going to complain.  I still feel my insurance is a reasonable amount.  I have a friend whose insurance increased and she is looking everywhere for less expensive insurance.  She did find one that is quite a bit cheaper, but I have to wonder the reason for the much lower cost.

Respected Contributor

@bonnie f wrote:

dont even get me started  lol  i started a post about my car ins. yrs ago in here.. i have allstate and every i'd say 2 yrs it goes up.. and i have a 17 yr old car,, no accidents.. only drive like 5,000  miles a yr.. i did contact them about this about 2 yrs ago.. my agent was real nice and gave me a "newer policy"  my policy was from when i was 17.. and they kept me as being with them for 30 plus yrs ..  but even after that it went up the next yr by about 100.00 or more for the yr... im getting a brand new car this week.. i hate to see what my ins. will be with a brand new car!!  i may have to switch ins. companies.. but i really hate to after being with them all these yrs

@bonnie f Switch, it will be worth it. They may lower your rate or you will find a much better rate. It will be money in your pocket not theirs. You might be surprised at how much you have been over paying. They count on you not leaving because you have been with them for so long. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used to live in CA in Ridgecrest near 395 and 14; one of the most dangerous highways in the country.  As a result, although I lived in a rural community and my r.t. commute was 5 miles, our insurance was horrendous (higher than when I lived in D.C.!  Insurance rates consist of many factors and one is how many bad/fatal accidents.  In Ridgecrest (small city) many of my friends, as well as myself, knew at least several people who had been killed in 395.

Honored Contributor

So far, so good. Two relatively new SUV's - but very basic models.