Honored Contributor

Re: Has Social Media Turned Seniors Into 'Twits'?

I don't think you have to have meaningful interaction every moment when you are in the presence of someone you know.  What a heavy expectation.  Sometimes we just need to sit in quietude, and that could include both or all checking their messages.

Haven't we all at least once felt the burden of trying to think of something to say when we really wanted moments of solitude?

Who wants to be responsible for breaking a natural lull in a conversation?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I'm willing to bet the same was said about people on the phone years ago, especially teens, listening to the radio and then television.  It's always something.

We used to have people on here pulling their hair out over cell phones.  Smart phones with messaging must seem unbearable to some.

what about years ago when hand held video games were popular.....or transistor radios......or boom boxes..... or comic books...... you are right, it is always something. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

IMG_1507.jpg

Respected Contributor

Yes, it was always something, but I still think increased technology has caused human interaction to fall by the wayside more than ever. I have nothing against technology, but I think when the circumstance is to be out socially with people, especially at a lunch or dinner table, whether at home or in a restaurant, those phones should not be seen.

Also, where I live, there is no more eye contact while walking in the street. Everyone, but I mean everyone has their faces in their phones. To me, that's pretty bizarre. JMO.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Yes, it was always something, but I still think increased technology has caused human interaction to fall by the wayside more than ever. I have nothing against technology, but I think when the circumstance is to be out socially with people, especially at a lunch or dinner table, whether at home or in a restaurant, those phones should not be seen.

Also, where I live, there is no more eye contact while walking in the street. Everyone, but I mean everyone has their faces in their phones. To me, that's pretty bizarre. JMO.

@SaRina

Respectfully, I think it has increased interaction.  My daughter connected with cousins she hadn't seen since they were toddlers.  They are now close friends, for which I am grateful, seeing that she is an only child.

As for eye contact, or the lack of, I chalk that up to being wary of strangers, and rightly so in this day and age.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

When you live in a large city, the act of walking down the street in itself can be pretty risky. Eye contact? You grow up in the city being taught not to make eye contact, for good reasons.  To be unusually open and friendly to strangers is what's bizarre.

Sad? Maybe, but it wasn't any different in my mother's day - and we grew up in the same city.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

When you live in a large city, the act of walking down the street in itself can be pretty risky. Eye contact? You grow up in the city being taught not to make eye contact, for good reasons.  To be unusually open and friendly to strangers is what's bizarre.

Sad? Maybe, but it wasn't any different in my mother's day - and we grew up in the same city.

I'm not talking about being unusually open and friendly to strangers in the street. What I'm talking about is.... Picture this: Where I live, people used to walk in the street with their heads up and eyes looking ahead. In doing so, people would invariably be looking at each other as they passed each other. It was a matter of being aware of one's surroundings and other human beings.

Now, nearly all heads are tilted forward, looking down into their phones. They are oblivious to anyone or anything around them so that they are literally walking into each other, walking into poles, never mind the danger of crossing the street like this in traffic. When "you" see this, en masse, that.... is what's bizarre to me. It may not be to anyone else.

There is no argument here. Our perceptions and certainly experiences will be different. That's all. :-)

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Today's crazy kids & their cell phones...

IMG_1501.jpg

But to be fair, you'd have to also show a photo of the bar car, where they're more than making up for all the socializing not happening here.

Respected Contributor

I am 77 years old.  I use FB now and then.  That's MY choice.

I detest those who try to stereotype seniors.  We are as diverse as younger people.  We've just had more years to practice.