Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Social Media Turned Seniors Into 'Twits'?

I don't FaceBook.  Don't desire to at all.  I know how to talk to folks and introduce myself.  I also know 'senior's how don't facebook or even want or own a cell phone.  They get along just fine. 

Social media is very misleading.  Why would someone deliberately want to be mislead?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I don't FaceBook.  Don't desire to at all.  I know how to talk to folks and introduce myself.  I also know 'senior's how don't facebook or even want or own a cell phone.  They get along just fine. 

Social media is very misleading.  Why would someone deliberately want to be mislead?

Anything can be misleading (including a face-to-face conversation) if the person is unable to use their own basic intelligence and logic (or has none), as well as what they know and observe of the world (assuming they do observe the world) to make their own informed decisions.

IMO if people really believe fake news it's on them. Seriously.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The worst one abusing social media is the one that shouldn't be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot If you went to work on public transportation before cell phones back in the day - you would see many , most, people would be reading something on the bus.  Now they read their phone or tablet. No difference. 

If you went to a diner or cafeteria for breakfast back then , you would see almost everyone reading something while they ate. Now they read their phones . What's the difference?

When I was in high school and the year after I worked in a downtown bakery. We served pastries,  bagels & fresh coffee up to 10AM. There was a counter where customers would stand and eat. Almost every one of them would be reading the paper while they stood there. I doubt that was unique to Pittsburgh.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot If you went to work on public transportation before cell phones back in the day - you would see many , most, people would be reading something on the bus.  Now they read their phone or tablet. No difference. 

If you went to a diner or cafeteria for breakfast back then , you would see almost everyone reading something while they ate. Now they read their phones . What's the difference?

When I was in high school and the year after I worked in a downtown bakery. We served pastries,  bagels & fresh coffee up to 10AM. There was a counter where customers would stand and eat. Almost every one of them would be reading the paper while they stood there. I doubt that was unique to Pittsburgh.

I used to ride the NYC subway every day, for years.  People read the morning paper, or a book, if they had a seat.  I also rode the Long Island Railroad when I commuted from Long Island to Manhattan.  Lots of people read the morning paper.

The difference is they didn't have the paper with them at all times during the rest of the day, constantly with their eyes on it, checking all day long.  They read the news with their commute and their coffee and that was it.  Nothing like how people are with their cell phones and social media today.

Big difference

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I used to ride the NYC subway every day, for years.  People read the morning paper, or a book, if they had a seat.  I also rode the Long Island Railroad when I commuted from Long Island to Manhattan.  Lots of people read the morning paper.

The difference is they didn't have the paper with them at all times during the rest of the day, constantly with their eyes on it, checking all day long.  They read the news with their commute and their coffee and that was it.  Nothing like how people are with their cell phones and social media today.

Big difference

Yes, and the REALLY big difference is when you are going out with other people and sitting in a restaurant, and some have their phones sitting on the table with their eyes always glancing. Now that's rude. People didn't used to go out socially with newspapers in hand at the dinner table.

Or just walking along in the street. People didn't have their noses in newspapers while walking, but they sure as heck have their noses in their phones every walking minute.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Thus I can easily conclude that I am not a "twit".  

Not so fast there LOL.  The title is "social media" and the article references using Facebook and other social media. 

The Q boards are social media and while I'm not saying there is evidence of anyone being a "twit" there is overwhelming evidence of "twittish" posts.

Sorry, not a Twit, and wise enough to use this as my only :"social media" outlet. There may be a few Twits here, but I don't think they are all Seniors.

Honored Contributor

I'm willing to bet the same was said about people on the phone years ago, especially teens, listening to the radio and then television.  It's always something.

We used to have people on here pulling their hair out over cell phones.  Smart phones with messaging must seem unbearable to some.

Honored Contributor

IMG_1501.jpg

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

IMG_1501.jpg

Again, the difference is.... do these 4 people know each other? If so, then they're not having meaningful interaction with each other. They look to me like mere strangers riding a train, so if they don't know each other, there's nothing anti-social about what they're doing. 

Circumstances. Circumstances.