Honored Contributor

Re: Has A Reputable Storage Company Lost Your Storage Crate?

I'd see an attorney.  The storage co. should have insurance to cover losses I'd think.

Honored Contributor

You would probably need proof of value.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Ask them what their insurance company says about this.  What does your original contract say about insurance?   If that doesn't go anywhere, I'd contact an attorney.  

Honored Contributor

Let us know what happens.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

@Venezia @Group 5 minus 1 @depglass @qualitygal @phoenixbrd 

A storage company I used to store my mother's beautiful dining table, two ladder back chairs, two captain chairs and a hutch.  A solid rock maple bed with headboard and footboard.  These Items are almost 100 years old.  The company says they moved their storage facility and believe my storage box was given the  icorrect storage number when moved and they cannot track it.

The storage companyd has informed me yesterday that my storage box has been disposed. They apologized and said that  within  two weeks they would be sending me a letter offering compensation.  Over the course of a month they have told me different stories, but it matters nothing to me how the storage crate was lost because I will never know.  If I do not agree with the compensation, I intend to hire a attorney, or I can go to small claims court.  However small claims maxium is $5K.  I will discuss with my attorney.  Here is a facsimilie of the dining table:  image.png

Honored Contributor

@tobes - I can't see the photo you tried to post.

But something else occurred to me:  you say you've been paying storage rental every month?  So they've been taking your money for a crate they say they disposed of?  Something is very fishy here.

One minute they don't know where it is, the next they claim it was disposed of.  It sounds like either one lie after another or incredible incompetence.

I'd be taking legal advice, especially as to what you were paying for each month.  They had to be applying it to some account?  Were two people paying rental on the same crate (that they say was misnumbered)?

A lot of questions need to be answered, IMO.  You could also ask an antique furniture dealer what the approximate value might be, given your descriptions.  

Respected Contributor

@Venezia I have retained a lawyer.  So we will see what happens

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@Venezia I have retained a lawyer.  So we will see what happens

@tobes - I'll be very interested to hear what the storage company tells your lawyer.

Good luck!  (In my case, I eventually "lost" the husband.)

Super Contributor

Please keep us up-to-date about this situation. Best wishes!!