Respected Contributor

Has A Reputable Storage Company Lost Your Storage Crate?

A storage company I used to store my mother's beautiful dining table, two ladder back chairs, two captain chairs and a hutch.  A solid rock maple bed with headboard and footboard.  These Items are almost 100 years old.  The company says they moved their storage facility and believe my storage box was given the  icorrect storage number when moved.  Have you experenced this?  The furiture was stored there for about 8 years and automaric payments were made for me by my bank everymonth.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has A Reputable Storage Company Lost Your Storage Crate?

No, never have had that experience.  Sorry to hear.  What is the company going to do to compensate you? @tobes 

Super Contributor

Maybe the company can give your phone number to the other customers at the storage facility. Maybe one of them would be honest enough to say that they have your furniture and return it. Worth a try... Wish you the best in this matter. 

Honored Contributor

If they are moving your stuff wouldn't they have to call you?

Our kids are building a new home and their old house sold in 2 weeks and had to move in w/another person and put all their stuff in storage.

Hope this doesn't happen to them.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Something about that story doesn't sound right to me. That storage facility's management should have contacted their customers about moving their customers' belongings before touching that stuff. Sounds fishy.

Honored Contributor

If the entire storage unit was picked up and moved from one location to another, your key should still fit the lock on that unit, period.   

My thoughts are Management should accompany you to the site, while you try your key in the lock of each unit that was moved and renumbered in an effort to locate the furniture.

Honored Contributor

@tobes   "The company says they moved their storage facility and believe my storage box was given the icorrect storage number when moved."

So what are they going to do about it???   confused.gif

Can you file a police report for grand theft? confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

The manager or owner of the facility can open each and every unit to find the correct items that are missing. This whole scenario sounds strange. This shouldn't be a big deal if those in charge of this facility are reputable and insured.

Honored Contributor

Hope this wasn't PODS.,

Honored Contributor

@tobes - Yes, a very long time ago.  Not an entire crate, but a lot of expensive items went missing.  North American Van Lines.  Never got a thing back.  Only got "No idea how that happened.  Are you sure???"

Yes, very sure and never trusted them again.  Sadly, I was younger and my ex didn't bother to insure anything or ask for an itemized listing of what went into storage, so it was our word against theirs.  And they knew it.

In your case, I'd be demanding to know when and where they moved your crate to.  The crate should be sealed and, as someone else suggested, you should be able to try every single lock until you find it.  No matter what number they've put on it, your key should be the only one to fit the lock.

If it's gone, I'd be filing a report of theft.  They get away with far too much, IMO.