QVC Customer Care

Re: Harrison - pls ground yourself

Please keep to the topic

Susan Q-Social

Honored Contributor

I think he needs to stop flying.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I think he needs to stop flying.

Or at least he should fly in and out of smaller, private airstrips:/

Respected Contributor

Ford mistakenly aimed for the unmarked taxiway instead of runway 20-L, just passing over an American Airlines 737 loaded with more than 100 passengers. The 737 was waiting to use runway 20-R on the other side of 20-L

Honored Contributor

'Uh-oh'...........Glad everyone is safe.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I'm thinking that if I were him, I'd hire a local flight instructor to accompany me on various local flights.  I'd consider him/her a 'friend'.  Someone to enjoy flying with.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

His 2015 accident had nothing to do with pilot error; his skill as a pilot potentially saved lives on the ground that day, as well as his own. I worked in Santa Monica at the time and sometimes drove through the neighborhood where the crash occurred on my way home.

The current crash seems, on the face of it, to be a very different matter. I just came up with the following while googling. He's had "mishaps" before over the years that I was unaware of.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/15/515328041/faa-investigating-after-harrison-ford-fl...

It might, indeed, be time for him to have a co-pilot at the least. Just honest errors in judgment, or lessening skills and/or reaction time, not good however you look at it.

My stepfather had a pilot's licence. He tried to bluff his way out of people seeing that he had cognition issues, but I think he knew not to even try to keep his license, between the physicals that are required and other testing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

Ford mistakenly aimed for the unmarked taxiway instead of runway 20-L, just passing over an American Airlines 737 loaded with more than 100 passengers. The 737 was waiting to use runway 20-R on the other side of 20-L

Well, that's a disturbing photo. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I don't think you all are being quite fair.  That incident a couple of years ago with the very, very old plane was due to the plane's mechanical failure.  As the article in the link points out near the end, Ford received high praise for even having been able to land the disabled plane, and away from any place where someone else got hurt.  It's a miracle he was able to land and survived that - the crash wasn't his fault.

That said, at age 74 he maybe should stop piloting planes.  It will be interesting to see whether the FAA suspends his license.

Thanks for explaining the truth about that particular incident.  I remember it happening and his skill saved him and perhaps others.  Perhaps though he should consider whether or not to continue flying unless it is commercial.  His wife Calista would be thrilled if he didn't fly his own plane anymore. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

74 or 82....exact number.doesnt matter he had a bran lapse of some sort..."was that 737 supposed to be under me?"  He MUST hire a co-polit if he wants to continue to pilot....not an issue for him and safer for now