Respected Contributor

Anyone Familiar with Hospital Rules & Regulations?

[ Edited ]

I have an elderly family member that has been in a major hospital for over a week.  It appears the bedding/entire room has not been cleaned and sheets have not been changed since he's been there.  

Is this the normal today?  I remember many years ago when I was hospitalized my bed sheets were changed daily whether I liked it or not. 

Thoughts?  I don't want to report it if I'm out of line.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Familiar with Hospital Rules & Regulations?

Yes, their sheets should be changed everyday.

You need to talk to the nursing staff or nursing supervisor to find out why this isn't being done.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

No, it's not normal. All you have to do is ask how often the bedding is changed and the room cleaned. Then you can remark that it doesn't appear that has been done. Perhaps it was just an oversight.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

Thank you!  

Honored Contributor

I have no idea but don't feel you are our of line. I would say something if it's been a week with no cleaning. If I was the patient I would have already asked them about it. 

I have only had to stay at the hospital 1 or 2 nights when I had my tonsils removed years ago.

I hope that's not the norm & I would ask about it.

I believe they do this in a lot of hotels. I mean not washing the sheets between guests. I have seen them cleaning rooms upon checkout & they are in & out of the rooms pretty quick & without any dirty sheets coming out of the room where you can see from the door open they have already made the bed.

Honored Contributor

Bedding should be changed daily and bed, surfaces, bath wiped down daily as well.  Just say - hey could you p!ease do x, y and z today?

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  

You know, that is interesting.  Looking forward to posts from others.  I haven't been hospitalized in two years (3 days).  I do recall housekeeping came in daily to tidy up and resupply the bathroom, empty the trash.  I don't remember the linens being changed.

We have had family in the hospital, longer term recently, but the subject didn't come up.

Super Contributor

Speak up!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have an elderly family member that has been in a major hospital for over a week.  It appears the bedding/entire room has not been cleaned and sheets have not been changed since he's been there.  

Is this the normal today?  I remember many years ago when I was hospitalized my bed sheets were changed daily whether I liked it or not. 

Thoughts?  I don't want to report it if I'm out of line.  

@Sunshine Kate

In this case, it sounds like the Nursing Supervisor is the person to talk to ......  first.

In most cases, the best person to call is the Hospital Administrator .....  they keep the place running and are also concerned with the big picture, abiding by all regulations and prevention of lawsuits, etc.    Always a good choice.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@KingstonsMom

Thank you!  

@Sunshine Kate

You're welcome!

Not changing the sheets increases chances of a bacterial/viral infection starting, not to mention bed sores if the patient isn't moved for a period of time, even moving them for sheet changes helps that.

Healing thoughts for your family member and they're lucky to have a loving family member like you to look out for their care!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.