Honored Contributor

@CHIP62  are you familiar with it? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Happy Epiphany

[ Edited ]

@cherry,

Oh yes! There are three kings Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar the same ones who saw the comet. An angel guided them to where baby Jesus was born. They brought three presents to the King of Kings one gave him gold, the other incense and the last one myrrh.

Similarly on the night of December 6th the 3 kings (parents obviously) leave their children gifts.

In my youth we had 3 big ones and some minor ones. Nowadays the get a lot not only from their parents but from other family members. They even write a letter expressing their preferences in advance.

Most stores remain open until 2am.

The big day is December 7th when the children open their presents and the go to mass.

In some cities like Seville there is a big parade with camels and all🌻

Honored Contributor

How wonderful @CHIP62

My children went to a parochial school and St Nicholas always came to the school on his feast day to leave candy and a brand new $1 bill to each of the kiddies, from our Pastor

He was a very kind generous man. My children kept his dollar bill and still have it as a memento.

You must be Spanish?

Honored Contributor

I thought some of you might like to see how different parts of the world celebrate Epiphany.....It is a bit hard to see kiddies smoke ,even if they don't inhale

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5243479/Epiphany-celebrations-Portugal-children-smoke.html

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Regarding Epiphany, I am Methodist and we always celebrated in Jan. 6. I guess it is just the difference in religions. 

So you didn't celebrate it in church on a Sunday?  Or did your church have a special service on a weekday for it?

Honored Contributor

Thank you.  Happy belated Epiphany to you too.  Interesting how this simple Biblical story has been embellished over time.

Respected Contributor

My Christmas tree always 'stays up' until "King's Day" ... I think this is a wonderful tradition, and wish more would observe it.

Trusted Contributor

@cherry,

I am actually French🌻