Respected Contributor

Tomorrow, April 22, is the 51st annual Earth Day. The theme this year is "Restore Our Earth." I am worried about the earth we all share. Here in the west we are facing another drought which often leads to wild fires. Please take a moment tomorrow to think about what you and your community could do to restore our earth. 

Respected Contributor

I'd love to share the solution but unfortunately, it's probably against forum rules. 

Respected Contributor

I remember the first Earth Day very well.

Yes, we are in trouble.  Things are changing rapidly and not in a good way.

Hopefully, this will be taken seriously and things can be done to preserve the earth for future generations.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Let's all start by picking up the trash along roads and parks. So many people just leave trash  everywhere . Many  Veterans   Hospitals have  outdoor gardens for Vets  as part of horticulture   therapy   where they could  really appreciate  volunteers helping to weed and  rototill  the beds for this years spring planting  .

Go volunteer

Honored Contributor

I have been an environmentalist since the fifties and I salute Earth Day.  There is so much to say but I will address one issue that I have been angry and disgusted with for quite awhile.  The highways and ramps are full of litter.  I don't mean a couple of pieces of paper, I mean garbage all over the place, I have never seen so much litter.  I have called many people concerning this health hazard and I am frustrated.  There are excuses such as the pandemic but the pandemic didn't create little, people are responsible.  They use the highways to empty their garbage, I wonder how their homes look inside.

Finally a contact informed me she was going to talk to some people in charge and gave me hope that maybe there would be a push to clean up.  Even mayors have complained. In our newspapers, articles have appeared stating some groups will be out there cleaning up . There is a lot to do but it's a start and I will continue to push in any way I can.  

I don't have the authority to tackle the very big and important issues but I do whatever I can within my capacity as a voter and a citizen to help wherever I can.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting that litter has been mentioned.  That’s also one of my pet peeves.  I take regular walks in nature parks and the amount of trash I find is unbelievable.  I began carrying trash bags and gloves so I can pick it up when I see it.  It’s also amazing how much stuff washes up from the creek when it rains.  One time I picked up over 200 plastic water bottles along with other sundry stuff.  I can only imagine how much makes its way to the rivers and oceans. 

Esteemed Contributor

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Earth Day

[ Edited ]

@spiderw wrote:

I have been an environmentalist since the fifties and I salute Earth Day.  There is so much to say but I will address one issue that I have been angry and disgusted with for quite awhile.  The highways and ramps are full of litter.  I don't mean a couple of pieces of paper, I mean garbage all over the place, I have never seen so much litter.  I have called many people concerning this health hazard and I am frustrated.  There are excuses such as the pandemic but the pandemic didn't create little, people are responsible.  They use the highways to empty their garbage, I wonder how their homes look inside.

Finally a contact informed me she was going to talk to some people in charge and gave me hope that maybe there would be a push to clean up.  Even mayors have complained. In our newspapers, articles have appeared stating some groups will be out there cleaning up . There is a lot to do but it's a start and I will continue to push in any way I can.  

I don't have the authority to tackle the very big and important issues but I do whatever I can within my capacity as a voter and a citizen to help wherever I can.

@spiderw. Yes we do. We can vote for those who best represent our thoughts and keep the pressure on.

I hate trash as well, but it is really just a symptom of a far worse crisis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

For me, lets talk abt picking up trash , what does anything else mean when  all the places we go are trashed up. People don't clean up anything  or reccycle, just throw away . Some places have  big landfills , our oceans are garbage pits, space gets discarded   space craft . I've known people  all into  " saving the environment " but do nothing to tackle  the mounting trash issues  and the companies that profit on putting cities trash on garbage barges in the ocean.

Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Earth Day

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll wrote:

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

@Caligurll 

Our poor planet.  Many taking a lot, and not giving much back.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras