Honored Contributor

I envy those of you who have been able to go back to your old job after retiring. That would be a dream come true for meWoman Happy...just a dream. That will never happen for me unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if my co-workers gave me a workplace party because they were happy or sad to see me retire.  I only know I've never looked back.

Honored Contributor

Over the years I have seen many people retire. Some were given a wonderful send off with a big party, gifts and money and others just got a card signed by everyone in their unit.

It really didn’t seem fair and there was no rhyme or reason as to who got the parties and who didn’t.

When I worked, my work measurement was that of three people, not because I was smarter, but because I was the most experienced and I do work fast.  We had a rule in our department that only one person could be off at a time.  There were four of us who did the same job.That rule was broken many times and I was the only one or one of two that was left to work sometimes up to a full week.

When I wanted to go to Hawaii for my 20th anniversary, I  could not get off because someone took every Monday off for the months of June, July and August.  Because of this I was told that I could have two weeks off in a row, but had to be there on Mondays. How could I come from Hawaii to work Mondays? I had to delay our trip we wanted to take in July to September.

There were no problems if I was there working and more than one person wanted off, the other person and I were expected to keep up the work load,  but if I wasn’t one of the two, it wasn’t allowed. I felt really upset and decided that I was being used by my department.

There were many more incidences over the years that led me to believe that work was just that..work.  Not many people really cared, they were just coworkers.  If you died or left, no one really cared except for the fact that they had to pick up the slack.

Over a weekend a few years ago,  I decided that I wanted to retire so I typed up my resignation letter and went into my bosses office early Monday morning. I advised her that I was taking a four week vacation starting right there and then and when my vacation days ran out, I was retiring.

She didn’t know what to say.  I cleaned out my desk, said goodbye to my coworkers and walked out.  I have only gone back one time to eat lunch with a coworker friend.  I don’t miss it at all.  If was strange not to have to go in everyday, but I got used to it in a hurry.

Since then, a couple of my coworkers who were real friends and I get together every month or so and go out for dinner.  We take our spouses along with us.  We have a great time.

I never realized how freeing and wonderful life is without all that stress of trying to please and accommodate others.  Not many were thankful no matter how much you did for them.

You’re gonna love retirement.  If you get bored, you can always get a part time job to keep you busy with nary a care, I volunteer at a local school a few hours a week.  It keeps me on my toes and gets me out of the house.

When I get tired of that, I’ll retire again and find something else to do.  I am retired, but not dead.

Honored Contributor

@srgtdj,

Yes, you must remember you are the one making the change.  

Your situation brought back memories, because I too was involved in the office responsibility of coordinating lunches, celebrations, cake, bereavements, retirements, etc.   Outside of one more lunch with the main office crew, I did not want the usual celebration I often put together for others.   That was one of several office activities I was very glad to let go of.   

Also, while your office friends are happy for your ability to retire, there is a bit of resentment as well, because it’s not happening for them.   I retired at 57, and all I heard was “you’re not old enough to retire”, and other similar comments, when I made my announcement.   No, technically I wasn’t, but everything seemed to fall in place in a way that seemed the right thing at the right time, so I didn’t question it.   I just walked out and have never looked back.   Still no regrets as I start on Year 6.   

I retired from a hospital, and am still extremely close to my office friends.  When I had my knee replacement four months ago, my hospital family took great care of me.   The group get well card was hilarious, as are my birthday cards, and they know their first Christmas card will be from me.   They are still a very special group of friends, and I am blessed to have them in my life.

Best wishes to you in your retirement!  

Trusted Contributor

I will validate your feelings because I felt the same way on my retirement day!  I had been there for 34 years and was one of the "go to" people who helped everyone in the department!  However, on my last day as I was leaving, NO ONE helped me take all my flowers, gifts, etc. to my car!  I had to make 3 trips carrying all sorts of things that you wrack up in your desk and cupboard, plus the gifts!!   It did hurt me and when I got around to asking one of the other ladies about it, she said everyone was sort of jealous of me, in that being my last day!  Most of the ones in my dept. still had 10 to 15 years left to work before they could retire!

Plus, she said they thought that my husband was waiting outside to help me carry things to my car. 

But you do have a right to feel the way you feel, but go forth with your "new" life, enjoy, and don't worry about it!!!!

Honored Contributor

I delayed retirement until I was 68 so I'd be in a better financial position.  My last day of work was a Thursday and on the following Tuesday, I left for a three-week trip to Italy.

I loved my job - great co-workers and great boss, great (generous) corporation, but my life didn't revolve around my job.  So - leaving was no big deal for me.  

It's been more than 7 years since I retired ... life couldn't be better!  I have fairly busy life and some times I wonder how I ever had time to work!

Honored Contributor

I would be upset.  Somebody could have pulled something together.  When I retire, my co-workers will probably do the same thing.  I won't be looking back.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's possible that a surprise party/send off is being planned for you that you don't know about. After 20 years and coordinating for others, surely someone has figured out that a nice sendoff for you would be a nice thing to do. When I retired I had many plans to go back and visit my friends from work....but, after a month or so I lost that urge and was quite happy enjoying my new life. I still meet a good friend from work for lunch once a month and will continue to do that, but I found that I really didn't miss my old work environment anymore. I hope that something nice is planned for you - if not, then know that you will be able to look forward to your new life in retirement! It's truly liberating! Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

Over the years I have seen many people retire. Some were given a wonderful send off with a big party, gifts and money and others just got a card signed by everyone in their unit.

It really didn’t seem fair and there was no rhyme or reason as to who got the parties and who didn’t.

When I worked, my work measurement was that of three people, not because I was smarter, but because I was the most experienced and I do work fast.  We had a rule in our department that only one person could be off at a time.  There were four of us who did the same job.That rule was broken many times and I was the only one or one of two that was left to work sometimes up to a full week.

When I wanted to go to Hawaii for my 20th anniversary, I  could not get off because someone took every Monday off for the months of June, July and August.  Because of this I was told that I could have two weeks off in a row, but had to be there on Mondays. How could I come from Hawaii to work Mondays? I had to delay our trip we wanted to take in July to September.

There were no problems if I was there working and more than one person wanted off, the other person and I were expected to keep up the work load,  but if I wasn’t one of the two, it wasn’t allowed. I felt really upset and decided that I was being used by my department.

There were many more incidences over the years that led me to believe that work was just that..work.  Not many people really cared, they were just coworkers.  If you died or left, no one really cared except for the fact that they had to pick up the slack.

Over a weekend a few years ago,  I decided that I wanted to retire so I typed up my resignation letter and went into my bosses office early Monday morning. I advised her that I was taking a four week vacation starting right there and then and when my vacation days ran out, I was retiring.

She didn’t know what to say.  I cleaned out my desk, said goodbye to my coworkers and walked out.  I have only gone back one time to eat lunch with a coworker friend.  I don’t miss it at all.  If was strange not to have to go in everyday, but I got used to it in a hurry.

Since then, a couple of my coworkers who were real friends and I get together every month or so and go out for dinner.  We take our spouses along with us.  We have a great time.

I never realized how freeing and wonderful life is without all that stress of trying to please and accommodate others.  Not many were thankful no matter how much you did for them.

You’re gonna love retirement.  If you get bored, you can always get a part time job to keep you busy with nary a care, I volunteer at a local school a few hours a week.  It keeps me on my toes and gets me out of the house.

When I get tired of that, I’ll retire again and find something else to do.  I am retired, but not dead.

@Carmie, What a feeling that must have been, I'll bet when you walked out you felt so free !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@srgtdjwrote:

I am retiring from a job that I have had for the past 20 years.  The retirement is my choice and I am excited about starting a new chapter with my husband who is already retired.  But my exit from the job has me feeling sad.  Usually I was the one who would coordinate announcements, good luck in retirement parties or even cake in the office.  But now that's I am the one retiring it feels like everyone is just moving on.  I know I am the one makig the change and for them all life at the office goes on as usual.  But after 20 years there and doing my best to help others...it just feels like I'm unappreciated.   Has anyone else experienced this?   I suspect the feeling will pass once I am actually gone from the office and fully into my retired life.  I guess I am feeling dismissed.  Maybe just too sensitive.

I had to retire early because of a disability.....it wasn't easy but i couldn't do the job anymore.  My advice to you is to forget the others and be HAPPY that you can retire and be with your husband and are physically able to enjoy doing things together.  Too often people put off retirement and health issues occur and they are then home but can't do all the things they had planned to do with their spouse or even on their own.......celebrate being home together and make lovely plans for as long

as you are able....