Super Contributor

I am retiring from a job that I have had for the past 20 years.  The retirement is my choice and I am excited about starting a new chapter with my husband who is already retired.  But my exit from the job has me feeling sad.  Usually I was the one who would coordinate announcements, good luck in retirement parties or even cake in the office.  But now that's I am the one retiring it feels like everyone is just moving on.  I know I am the one makig the change and for them all life at the office goes on as usual.  But after 20 years there and doing my best to help others...it just feels like I'm unappreciated.   Has anyone else experienced this?   I suspect the feeling will pass once I am actually gone from the office and fully into my retired life.  I guess I am feeling dismissed.  Maybe just too sensitive.

Respected Contributor

@srgtdj  I love your name! And yes, you may be feeling sensitive that more isnt being done as you retire, but it is the way of the world.

Focus instead on what you want to do for you and DH during retirement and/or volunteering in your community.

Retirement is fun; it's like being 9 years old again.

Trusted Contributor

No, you are not being too sensitive, just human. Focus on your wonderful husband and pursue the things you’ve always wanted to do when you dreamed of having free time. 😊 Try not to give them another thought. They’re not worth it.

Trusted Contributor

In my experience, retirement is definitely an individual thing .  I made the decision to retire, and had an awesome send off. 

My husband is still working full time . I HATED my first year of retirement, but tried to hide that from my family who was so happy for me.  I returned to work part time, and love my time off now... almost 2 year later.  It would be terrific for you if someone stepped up to give you a proper send off.  But like others have said, the world is changing and so many people just aren't very thoughtful anymore .

Respected Contributor

I think retirement brings mixed feelings in most people.

Do something nice with your dh- take a trip, have a fancy dinner, buy a piece of jewelry, go to a spa-celebrate! 

The people at work are not in  your life anymore. You are now free to start a new chapter.

@srgtdjwrote:

I am retiring from a job that I have had for the past 20 years.  The retirement is my choice and I am excited about starting a new chapter with my husband who is already retired.  But my exit from the job has me feeling sad.  Usually I was the one who would coordinate announcements, good luck in retirement parties or even cake in the office.  But now that's I am the one retiring it feels like everyone is just moving on.  I know I am the one makig the change and for them all life at the office goes on as usual.  But after 20 years there and doing my best to help others...it just feels like I'm unappreciated.   Has anyone else experienced this?   I suspect the feeling will pass once I am actually gone from the office and fully into my retired life.  I guess I am feeling dismissed.  Maybe just too sensitive.

Honored Contributor

Re: Handling Retirement

[ Edited ]

For me retirement from my life-long career was sad. I got a good-bye party, gifts and money. But it was afterwards that I found most disheartening. Out of the dozens of people I worked with for all of my years, only a couple of them ever reached out to me to see how I was doing. That was the hardest part for me...and still is today.

eta - it was not my decision to retire. I was forced into a sudden early retirement due to disability...another reason it was sad when I left. I had no time to prepare or adjust.

Honored Contributor

It was the best decision DH and I made 02/25/16. We gave a year’s notice so everyone had time to be ready. Yes it’s absolutely a big decision but if you have your ducks in a row the best you can, you will find you made the right decision. There’s so much you can do and ease into total retirement.  Retirement is the very reason we work hard all our lives, save money, investment wisely, get debt free and down size if you want. Enjoy the adventures while you can. 

Honored Contributor

What sort of activity would make you feel more "appreciated" and less "dismissed"?

Honored Contributor

I was lucky because I eased into total retirement. I retired at 62, but after a month they wanted me back per diem. For a few years it was nice, a little socializing, a little extra money, but ultimately I quit for good, and I love it. Realistically, unless you are friends, real friends you will leave and life goes on. Enjoy your family and retirement, it's fun and you earned it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

67 yrs young....

Retired at 50, didn't look back & couldn't care less what my co-workers thought about me!  I haven't thought about them or the job since the day I retired. 

I am enjoying every minute of my retirement.

Me last day on da J-O-B-->kiss.gif

Enjoy your retirement!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif