Honored Contributor

Worried about my LBI daughter and this Nor'easter

As some of you may know, one of my daughters lives on Long Beach Island (NJ).  We are getting a nor'easter today that is focusing on flooding along the coastline.  It's going to be worse north of us, but with winds up to 70 mph and both ocean and bay flooding, they will be hit hard also.

Of course, she blows it off.  She loves living on the island and I doubt I will ever get her to move to the mainland.  Her girls (15 and 18) were born there, they know nothing else.  They have lived through so many of these (they were evacuated during Sandy, and the island is still not entirely rebuilt). 

I just always worry that they take it too lightly.  But my daughter reassures me they do not.  We're going to get it inland also, but mostly the rain and winds, not the flooding.  So far it's just raining here.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Worried about my LBI daughter and this Nor'easter

@LilacTree  I was wondering about this storm. I think the traffic here today is very light. A  lot of people might be without power

I hope your daughter  is OK. I know you are worried ,and I would be too 

Spoiler
Heart
Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@LilacTree  I was wondering about this storm. I think the traffic here today is very light. A  lot of people might be without power

I hope your daughter  is OK. I know you are worried ,and I would be too 

Spoiler
Heart

@cherry

Hi cherry!  I didn't realize there was another post here about this storm or I would have posted there.

Thing is, the weather forecast is never entirely 100%.  One never knows where these offshore storms are going to hit (although this one looks as though the worst of it will be at sea).  Boston seems to be the focus of this one.

Thanks for your thoughtful words.  You are always so understanding and empathetic.  Heart

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

That storm passed through here last night (NE Ohio).  It rained all day yesterday, then turned to an ice storm, then the wet, heavy snow.  I woke up to about 5 inches of the heavy stuff and strained my already bad shoulder shoveling it to get to my car in the garage.

The worst was the wind and ice both at the same time.  I left the gym a little early last night because I could see it was getting bad.  After I got home the power kept going off and on until I went to bed.  It went off at least 20 times, but I was lucky because it never stayed off like it did for many other people around here.  Right now the sun is shining brightly.  I pray all the East coast people will be OK through this.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I read a bit about the expectations from the damage from this storm, and it sounds bad

I can bring the link here ,if you want to see it, but it might just upset you

Honored Contributor

I worry about some posters on the forums and know many live their. I know the fear as my 38-yr old daughter lives in Houston and has seen her share of disasters. As moms we will always worry about our children no matter the age. Praying all goes well for the people and pets and livestock in harms ways. 

Honored Contributor

@2blondewrote:

That storm passed through here last night (NE Ohio).  It rained all day yesterday, then turned to an ice storm, then the wet, heavy snow.  I woke up to about 5 inches of the heavy stuff and strained my already bad shoulder shoveling it to get to my car in the garage.

The worst was the wind and ice both at the same time.  I left the gym a little early last night because I could see it was getting bad.  After I got home the power kept going off and on until I went to bed.  It went off at least 20 times, but I was lucky because it never stayed off like it did for many other people around here.  Right now the sun is shining brightly.  I pray all the East coast people will be OK through this.

@2blonde

Thank you 2blonde.  It's always a relief once they've passed through.  Remember the cliche, "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb."  Let's hope it's true!

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

Since she’s been there so long and weathered many storms she must know a thing or two about how to survive on LBI.

Of course you are a worried mom, I would be too. Sometimes we have to pray and let go.

Hope you get good news and can relax.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for posting, @LilacTree.  A burden shared is lighter!

I am south of you - and the winds have been high with intermittent outages.  The rain passed through some days ago.  (Wow, what a gust! just passed through).  

I am concerned, as my DH (DARNED HUSBAND) ventured out to a meeting this morning and I am waiting to hear about his return.

Good luck to all!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnoliawrote:

Thank you for posting, @LilacTree.  A burden shared is lighter!

I am south of you - and the winds have been high with intermittent outages.  The rain passed through some days ago.  (Wow, what a gust! just passed through).  

I am concerned, as my DH (DARNED HUSBAND) ventured out to a meeting this morning and I am waiting to hear about his return.

Good luck to all!

@Sweetbay magnolia

It's supposed to get worse this afternoon into the night and most flooding Saturday morning on the Jersey coast and barrier islands at high tides.  I'm sure both of my daughters (one lives up here) went to work this morning because that's how they are.  I'm mostly worried about them getting home!!

Formerly Ford1224