Esteemed Contributor

Handling Fees are a Rip-Off!!!

When things look too good to be true, they usually are.

I got an email from Fiesta announcing free shipping with any order. Knowing that their shipping can be pricey because their dishes are quite heavy, I figured I'd pick up a few pieces I was interested in.

I put three items in my cart and saw that although they are offering free shipping, they are adding on a $4.95 handling fee. So, goodbye free shipping and hello handling fee.

They can take their dishes...well you know the rest. I didn't NEED them but I thought it would be nice to get a few dishes in their newest color.

It's not the $4.95; it's definitely the principle of it! I'll go to Kohl's and buy them when they're on sale.

I know I pay handling fees for theater tickets and other venues, but I don't think I ever paid handling for items like this. What do you think about handling fees?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: Handling Fees are a Rip-Off!!!

I think it pays to read the fine print.  How many times have I gotten junk email loudly proclaiming free shipping, only to read in fine print that it applies only to orders over $100.  It's a turn-off, no doubt about that.

Honored Contributor

The fee is usually referred to as shipping and handling and includes both.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The handling fee is for the packaging and with dishes proper packaging is important.  You can't just throw them in a box so in order to make money it seems like it would be necessary.  The shipping would be a cost above that so you still are getting free shipping.  Often times the shipping is cheaper than the cost to package it.

Honored Contributor

What exactly does handling cover? It is the labor and material to pack it? It seems like most things are prepackaged, and all they have to do is create a label ,and maybe slip it in another container for protection