Honored Contributor

I just picked up a prescription at Walgreen's drive in windows and was asked if I wanted to add hand sanitizer to my order.  I said, "Sure" so for $4+, I got a good sized bottle of Purell.  I felt like I'd struck gold.  Now if they'd just offer toilet paper.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Maybe you should send them a suggestion for every prescription filled they give away one roll of TP or offer a 4 pack at pharmacy drive-up.

Super Contributor

That's a good deal.

Respected Contributor

Haven't seen any hand sanitizer in weeks!  Maybe this is a hint on who's stocked up?

Respected Contributor

Re: Hand Sanitizer

[ Edited ]

Distilleries using high-proof alcohol to make hand sanitizer

Image: Chad Butters, founder of Eight Oaks Farm Distillery, poses for a photo at their facility in New Tripoli

NEW TRIPOLI, Pa. — A Pennsylvania distillery owner who grew increasingly angry as he saw the skyrocketing price of hand sanitizer has decided to do something about it: He’s temporarily converting his operation into a production line for the suddenly hard-to-find, gooey, alcohol-based disinfectant.

Eight Oaks Farm Distillery filled its first 20 bottles on Monday, a batch destined for charitable groups that need hand sanitizer but haven’t been able to get it due to the coronavirus pandemic. The family-owned distillery plans to dramatically boost production this week and distribute the bottles to charities as well as offer them at farmers’ markets where it sells its spirits and through its website.

The price: whatever people decide to donate.

“We are in a national emergency,” said brewery founder Chad Butters. “What’s the right thing to do? The right thing to do is support this community by providing something that is in desperate need. We’ll flood the valley with hand sanitizer and drive that price right down." 

Other distilleries are also putting their spirits to work to help fill the shortage of hand sanitizers. Green Mountain Distillers in Morrisville, Vermont, is giving away a hand sanitizing solution and Durham Distillery in Durham, North Carolina, is donating one to hospitality colleagues, using high-proof alcohol and other ingredients. Patrons must bring their own containers.

“We wanted to do something that would be as positive as possible,” said Harold Faircloth, an owner of Green Mountain Distillers. Made in the USA

~nbc news

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Distilleries using high-proof alcohol to make hand sanitizer

Image: Chad Butters, founder of Eight Oaks Farm Distillery, poses for a photo at their facility in New Tripoli

NEW TRIPOLI, Pa. — A Pennsylvania distillery owner who grew increasingly angry as he saw the skyrocketing price of hand sanitizer has decided to do something about it: He’s temporarily converting his operation into a production line for the suddenly hard-to-find, gooey, alcohol-based disinfectant.

Saw some local distillleries here in VA were doing the same thing.  Great idea.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hand Sanitizer

[ Edited ]

Purell's active ingredient is ethyl alcohol, aka ethanol, grain alcohol or Everclear 190 proof. I use Everclear in some of my diy skin care products and as a skin disinfectant (dilluted).

Honored Contributor

Read about the craft distilleries swirching to hand sanitizers just this AM.  

As long as they can find the raw materials they need, they've been able to manufacture sanitizer and if they can find bottles they're giving it away in 4 ounce bottles.  The one in our paper has already dispensed 20 gallons.

Honored Contributor

I wonder what the ATF has to say about this? As an alcohol manufacturer or distributor, there are laws and regs to follow. That was the basis for creating SD-alcohol.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just picked up a prescription at Walgreen's drive in windows and was asked if I wanted to add hand sanitizer to my order.  I said, "Sure" so for $4+, I got a good sized bottle of Purell.  I felt like I'd struck gold.  Now if they'd just offer toilet paper.

for yrs they wanted us to order online for every little thing

Now, when you go online to order toliet paper we get told 'in store only' and you just know the stores are gonna have it. sheesh