Honored Contributor

Re: Halloween decorations getting too gruesome......

@Nataliesgramma

Why do they want to scare little kids on Halloween?

not funny 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for posting accurate information.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not decorated for Halloween in Years. Not since in my stupidity, I almost had a very ugly situation.

My beloved dog who weighed about 80 lbs. was in the house with me  and I just thank God that  I had the screen door locked. This little girl came up with her dad. She could not have been more than 3 years old. They ring the doorbell and were in costumes. My dog charged the door. Growling and barking the whole way. I have never seen a little girl more terrified. She was crying hysterically.  I put the dog up and of course I could not stop putting candy in the bag that the dad was holding or apologizing.

That was it for me. It made me think of the safety of kids coming up to my door, and what if my dog would have attacked that little girl. 

Honored Contributor

We enjoyed Halloween as children in the 1960's, but it really only lasted a few days, with art and crafts in school, the school parade and trick or treat.

Today, it seems to be a month long affair. There were a few people who did up some yard decor for the event, but nothing like it is now.

When my 19 year old was little, he loved Halloween, and would begin planning next year's costume as soon as he got home from trick or treating.

I don't care for Halloween decor, so I don't own any anymore. I only used some when my son was little, and we live out, so never get any beggars. I do love to see others who really do up the yard/porch for the event, and enjoy all their hard work, just never been interested in doing it myself.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I hate Halloween and always have.  My DH does too, so it works out.  We usually turn off our light and go out to dinner on Halloween.  We are the Halloween version of Scrooge. LOL

We live out in the country with a long driveway so it has never really been a problem.  When our daughter was still home, she would sit up at the end of our drive and hand out the candy. 

I remember years ago reading Erma Bombeck.  She hated Halloween also.  She said she would give each of her kids a brown paper bag, scissors to cut out eyes, mouth, and arm holes, and crayons to decorate the bag.  She put the bags over their heads and sent them off to school for their Halloween parties. She told them to tell the teacher that their mother was home, sick in bed.

I always came up with a costume for my DD, but it had to be cute!

@tends2dogs  Oh TENDS2DOGS----LOL at the Erma Bombeck story---HILARIOUS!!! My mom loved Erma (and so did I)..... My mom has passed away and I have a couple of her beloved Bombeck books packed away, thanks for the reminder on how funny these books are. I will have to dig them out and re-read them.  I remember one really humorous episode about Barbie dolls.....Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

ARRRGGGHHH--some of the scenes y'all have described---naked dolls in cages and guilotines with heads chopped off....car wrecks with zombies breaking in---TOO GOREY AND GRUESOME!!!! 

My decor is mostly autumn and fall.  I do put out some vintage look Halloween pieces mostly black cats and pumpkins and also my Jim Shore Halloween pieces.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

moonchilde, is that what makes us different?  

I just said in an email that we "would be there with bells on" I was called out for using an old person's phrase. 

Seriously though, The attitude of my way or the highway frightens me. If it belongs to the youth, then who taught them that.  Is it part of the entitlement thing, or worse.

hmmm, don't want to get too introspective.

Enjoy what life has to offer friends and enrich yourselves.

OOPs forgot to set the font and color. Hope all are able to read.

@hennypenny, those who make comments about using old-fashioned or out of date slang and phrases will one day be accused of the same thing by their kids and grandkids ;-)  At work, around those who are decades younger or from another culture, I sometimes preface an expression or saying with "as my grandma used to say..." Or "as they used to say."

I don't think it's a young(er) person's thing to think "my way", etc. I think it's partly how someone was raised, but also just a person's natural temperament. I was raised by a very controlling and rigid stepfather, and my feelings about the world around me have turned out to be the opposite of his. No rebellion involved, I'm just a very different person (thankfully) than he was.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

We enjoyed Halloween as children in the 1960's, but it really only lasted a few days, with art and crafts in school, the school parade and trick or treat.

Today, it seems to be a month long affair. There were a few people who did up some yard decor for the event, but nothing like it is now.

When my 19 year old was little, he loved Halloween, and would begin planning next year's costume as soon as he got home from trick or treating.

I don't care for Halloween decor, so I don't own any anymore. I only used some when my son was little, and we live out, so never get any beggars. I do love to see others who really do up the yard/porch for the event, and enjoy all their hard work, just never been interested in doing it myself.

I agree with you.  Halloween decor was a pumpkin and a few construction paper decorations we made in art class.

I love autumn decorations but I'm not really into Halloween stuff.  Our dogs have always hated the sound of stomping on the porch and pounding on the door.

Around here, haunted houses start the last week in September.  You can't just buy a pumpkin from a farm stand.  It's any all afternoon affair.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

I hate Halloween and always have.  My DH does too, so it works out.  We usually turn off our light and go out to dinner on Halloween.  We are the Halloween version of Scrooge. LOL

We live out in the country with a long driveway so it has never really been a problem.  When our daughter was still home, she would sit up at the end of our drive and hand out the candy. 

I remember years ago reading Erma Bombeck.  She hated Halloween also.  She said she would give each of her kids a brown paper bag, scissors to cut out eyes, mouth, and arm holes, and crayons to decorate the bag.  She put the bags over their heads and sent them off to school for their Halloween parties. She told them to tell the teacher that their mother was home, sick in bed.

I always came up with a costume for my DD, but it had to be cute!

@tends2dogs  Oh TENDS2DOGS----LOL at the Erma Bombeck story---HILARIOUS!!! My mom loved Erma (and so did I)..... My mom has passed away and I have a couple of her beloved Bombeck books packed away, thanks for the reminder on how funny these books are. I will have to dig them out and re-read them.  I remember one really humorous episode about Barbie dolls.....Woman LOL

Spurt!  Oh, do tell the Barbie doll story if you can remember.  Glad I helped conjure up some good memories.  Erma's books were the best......many, many laughs about everyday happenings!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

I'm so sorry for the loss of your pet.  I had a shepherd /retriever mix also named Tess (from the d'Urbervilles). How clever to dress like a librarian like you did and I'm sure the kids loved it.