Respected Contributor

Re: Halloween Candy

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I gave out microwave popcorn for the last few years. I don't like giving out candy as it is so unhealthy. They can have fun popping there own popcorn.I know it is not  the most healthiest treat either but better than candy.

Listen up, bless all of you for caring about kids' health.

HOWEVER.

IT"S HALLOWEEN!!! Kids DO NOt want microwave popcorn (believe me from experience it will sit for months and finally get tossed)

They don't want crackers. They will not get eaten. They don't want cookies. I know that part is surprising but they don't get eaten. Please no stickers, they don't care about the stickers on Halloween. No pencils.

CANDY is what they want!

ETA: You gotta think like a kid!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling 

I think parents who let their children trick or treat are ok with their kids getting candy. 

We always give out candy. That's what most kids want IMO. I think we all know candy isn't the healthiest thing to eat. It's a treat.

We always have chocolate and non chocolate candy. I'm making treat bags with a variety of candy in each bag this year. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If someone isn't letting their child eat the candy, why let them go trick or treating at all?  

I'm undecided about whether I'm going to even participate this year.  Last year due to Covid, we got a handful of kids.  I'm wondering if it will pick up this year or if that is the end of that ritual. 

I have to laugh about the comments about dentists.  It's once a year.  I doubt kids' teeth are going to rot from eating some Halloween candy.  A dentist who hands out toothbrushes and toothpaste is lucky he doesn't get his cars or house egged.  LOL  What a cheapskate.  He probably got all that stuff for free.       

Respected Contributor

Last year I didn't participate, but the year before I had zero kids come to the door after making over 100 treat bags. So my Halloween participation is over.

Trusted Contributor

I will buy a bag of pre-wrapped chocolate candy bars.  The parents will decide what they want to give their children at the end of the day.

Any leftover, I'll bring into the office and put into a bowl for co-workers.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've been eating mine. At this rate there won't be any left to hand out...lol!Smiley Very HappySmiley Surprised

@SilleeMee LOL!  Which is exactly why I plan on buying on Friday!....not a moment before!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our church is doing the Trunk or Treat on Saturday. 

I know for a fact a mother takes her two kids in and they have gotten so much she has thrown a good part of it away. That makes me a little sick to think of these participants decorating and providing a lot of candy, just for a mother to throw a lot away. Why not freeze and dole it out little by little throughout the year? She just didn’t want the temptation around, which I understand. But I hate to hear of the waste. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Nothing. Especially after finding out that 1000-1800 pieces of candy are usually given out. 

My community is gaga over Halloween. The decorations are over the top; amazing. We have a FB sub-page dedicated to JUST Halloween decor, where to go to see the haunted houses (we have many in our community and WOW, they look fantastic). Gated communities choose a "theme" and everyone who lives there follows the it (you stand out if you don't). Last year, one of them chose "cops and robbers" and starting from the first house to the last, you saw the antics of skeletons stealing stuff and then being caught by the cops and then a huge party for the kid skeletons while the robbers sat in a jail. The lights, the attention to detail....WOW. This is the kind of stuff that is the NORM where we live.

For this reason, people arrive in our community in vans, park and then hit up the houses for candy. They're not neighbors, they're not kids your kids go to school with; they're simply out to get candy. And so, you need a LOT of it. Do the math regarding how much candy is in a large bag, how much it costs and needing that much....and no, it's not 1 piece per child, but usually 3 (that's just how it's done).

Yep, we're keeping the lights off. 

If we were back in MD: It would be the same as always....Kit Kats, Reeses PB pumpkins, M&M's, Charms Blow pops and organic fruit gummies (for the little ones and for those who are gluten free/nut free treaters). Happy Halloween, everyone!

@FiddleDeeDee 

That sounds just like my cousin's subdivision here in Texas....Their neighboorhood is like Halloween Land and there's always TONS of kids trick or treating for candy............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Disagree with the suggestion that moms won't let their kids eat candy bars. If moms let their kids trick-or-treat, they must realize 80% of the treats are some sort of candy bar. My bags contain three items each (Snickers Brownie Bars, Dove Milk Chocolate Pumpkin, and Skittles Mini Bags). 

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

Our church is doing the Trunk or Treat on Saturday. 

I know for a fact a mother takes her two kids in and they have gotten so much she has thrown a good part of it away. That makes me a little sick to think of these participants decorating and providing a lot of candy, just for a mother to throw a lot away. Why not freeze and dole it out little by little throughout the year? She just didn’t want the temptation around, which I understand. But I hate to hear of the waste. 

That would bother me, too. I HATE waste.  I know it's just candy but it's waste all the same and you could either mete it out, take some to work and share it, or otherwise share it.  So many choices aside from throwing it in the trash.  Smiley Mad