Honored Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT  Thank you for mentioning ethics.  Yes, there are great parents and I believe that few would disagree with your statements.  It goes without saying that great values instilled in a family setting is priceless and gives you a good foundation. Unfortunatelyy, some children have not had that background.  I have worked with them and if they don't encounter role models or information (classes-ethics and basic life skills), they have less of a change at success. Truly the best a child can encounter is a supportive family that encourages and teaches great values.

Thank you for your beautiful share, I agree and wish that all children had your fortunate experience.  I always value your posts.

@PamfromCT wrote:

There are a few people here I would advise “don’t open your blouse...your heart may fall on the floor.”  Blunt, but my feelings.

I was so fortunate to be brought up by parents who taught their kids solid values.  I saw how they cared for other people, quietly and without fanfare.

There are no guarantees in life.  Life is not fair.  Planning is good, but plans are not set in concrete.  There are many people I know who are really upsight about three plight of so many in our country.  Many of these posts here are just tragic

to me.  And I’ve been called a “bleeding heart” more than once in my life.  My answer:  “Why thank you !”  So many people here are loving and caring people who care.  I know it’s a struggle, but I ask all never to lose heart.

Many of us deeply care, never forget.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

Of course they can't. I have no idea who much these poor souls draw on social security, but I know I worked in home health and I had two that I would take food to and attempt to make sure they had enough. And I am no angel, some things you just do.

I can't imagine being 97 and not having enough to eat. That lady's granddaughter had tried to get her on food stamps, but she was only approved for 10 dollars a month, which would have been better than nothing, but she was going to have to go the DHS every few months, and walked with a walker, had a very hard time getting around so she said forget it.

Respected Contributor

@happycat....bless you for trying to help those in need. Some things are just so wrong in our world. $10 a month would not feed my cats, let alone a person. Unreal.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to post this, but just wanted to share some happy news.

A neighbor and her DH just brought me a beautiful bouquet of roses from their garden and said they just wanted to let me know how much they value our friendship. Wow. What a kind thing to do. I am speechless.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to post this, but just wanted to share some happy news.

A neighbor and her DH just brought me a beautiful bouquet of roses from their garden and said they just wanted to let me know how much they value our friendship. Wow. What a kind thing to do. I am speechless.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I needed to hear it. You are blessed indeed to have such wonderful neighbors.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@catwhisperer 

I don't see why it would be inappropriate.  (And besides, I think I'm the one that derailed the thread, not you.😉)  What a lovely gesture!  Everyone needs to feel appreciated.

Beyond that, I do think it applies to the subject at hand.  I think we all know someone that is struggling.  A small gesture to them here and there: an offer to mow their yard, a homemade casserole, a ride to the grocery store, even a small bouquet of flowers would be appreciated.  Many people are too proud or embarrassed to ask for help.  And many think they need to be able to repay those gestures in kind and know they can't.  But even for those of us that have limited funds or abilities, there is always some small way we can show how much we value another.  Even if it's just a heartfelt 'thank you so much', or being there when someone needs to talk.

No matter how bad our own situation may be, there is always someone out there who has it worse.  We might not know it until we make the first gesture.

@catwhisperer , you may be going through some rough times, but you are valued.  And now you have a pretty bouquet to look at that proves it!💐❤️

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer How lovely! Enjoy. Smiley Happy

@geezerette I totally agree. Even just the kindness I find on here with you and others uplifts so much. ❤️
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
@catwhispererHow lovely! Enjoy. Smiley Happy

@geezeretteI totally agree. Even just the kindness I find on here with you and others uplifts so much. ❤️

@Laura14 

Aw, thanks!☺️  And right backatcha! ❤️

When you think about it, this is kind of a strange place to make friends, but whatever works! 🙂