Honored Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

@catwhisperer -

I'm so sorry!

My daughter, a nurse, was just saying the other day, when did she realize that so many people don't care?😥

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: Half of seniors can not afford the basics; don’t have enough money to get by, cover basic needs

@on the bay@geezerette ....sad, isn't it? It is what it is. SMH.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA -

I don't think anyone is criticizing any who have lived frugally or below their means and saved. That is something to be admired.

Where it becomes judgemental is don't you see, there are many who have done the same as you-lived frugally all their lives, worked maybe 2 or 3 jobs and are not as fortunate to be in as comfortable a situation, for many things in life that happen!

It is not just people who you may have thought spent whatever they made or not worked enough.

Anyone really can and should understand this. 

If this entire thread helps one person open their heart and mind to become less judging of others based on their own fortunate situation, it will be something good!

And for all those here, (too many to mention) who still don't get it,

read River Song's post, not just your own. One of so many heartbreaking situations right on this thread, that could still happen (and for some is happening) to you or any of us.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

This is a very old argument.  It;s a variation of the deserving poor vs. the undeserving poor theme.

If you take it a step further, why should our health care system be clogged with people who refuse to lose weight, refuse to exercise properly, refuse to eat properly, smoke, drink, do drugs - or did those things for 30 years and now wants health care to take care of their terrible ongoing health issues.  

By the way, some variation of these things really add to the health expenses of a lot of seniors. When you're young, you may get out of the doctor's office with a stern warning. Age brings it all home to roost.  Life is a preexisting condition.

People should start thinking of health care as a basic human right.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a few people here I would advise “don’t open your blouse...your heart may fall on the floor.”  Blunt, but my feelings.

I was so fortunate to be brought up by parents who taught their kids solid values.  I saw how they cared for other people, quietly and without fanfare.

There are no guarantees in life.  Life is not fair.  Planning is good, but plans are not set in concrete.  There are many people I know who are really upsight about three plight of so many in our country.  Many of these posts here are just tragic

to me.  And I’ve been called a “bleeding heart” more than once in my life.  My answer:  “Why thank you !”  So many people here are loving and caring people who care.  I know it’s a struggle, but I ask all never to lose heart.

Many of us deeply care, never forget.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

There are a few people here I would advise “don’t open your blouse...your heart may fall on the floor.”  Blunt, but my feelings.

I was so fortunate to be brought up by parents who taught their kids solid values.  I saw how they cared for other people, quietly and without fanfare.

There are no guarantees in life.  Life is not fair.  Planning is good, but plans are not set in concrete.  There are many people I know who are really upsight about three plight of so many in our country.  Many of these posts here are just tragic

to me.  And I’ve been called a “bleeding heart” more than once in my life.  My answer:  “Why thank you !”  So many people here are loving and caring people who care.  I know it’s a struggle, but I ask all never to lose heart.

Many of us deeply care, never forget.

@PamfromCT 

Thank you for speaking about parents teaching their children values rather than joining the myriad posts here about parents teaching their children how to plan their financial future.

There is a good reason why we all know the phrase, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@suzyQ3 I did Smiley Happy. I mentioned other parts of the world because many think other countries have it all figured out (they don't) and the attitude of "you didn't plan well so don't look at me to feel for you" is everywhere as well. 

What happened to society as a whole to dislike the young, the old and those who need help in order to help themself? *heavy sigh*

@SahmIam, I've been thinking about this exchange we've had. I'm not so sure that other first-world countries (and maybe even some third-world as well) aren't a bit ahead of us when it come to medical care/prices. We are in the clutches of both insurance companies and the pharmaceutical industry more than is the case in several other countries.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  Many are ahead of us; you're right. My MIL would be the expert (IMHO) as she has traveled the world lecturing and writing about this topic (other countries, even 3rd world) offering basic care vs the US and being in her 80's and living in many of these countries to work with the women....she's seen it and practiced what she's preached (a very skilled nurse/humanitarian).

She and I often discuss the cost and the changing of views as the decades have gone by. My background is mental health/therapy and will say that the US does offer far more than most (what insurance will cover is another topic). Cost is an issue; who should receive what is an issue; should this covered by National Health is an issue....when before is wasn't. This reflects a definite mind shift and it's one that concerns us. 

The whole nightmare of drug costs is one that deserves it's own thread. The US truly has dropped the ball there. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 

We are in the clutches of both insurance companies and the pharmaceutical industry more than is the case in several other countries.

BIngo!!!

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@suzyQ3  Many are ahead of us; you're right. My MIL would be the expert (IMHO) as she has traveled the world lecturing and writing about this topic (other countries, even 3rd world) offering basic care vs the US and being in her 80's and living in many of these countries to work with the women....she's seen it and practiced what she's preached (a very skilled nurse/humanitarian).

She and I often discuss the cost and the changing of views as the decades have gone by. My background is mental health/therapy and will say that the US does offer far more than most (what insurance will cover is another topic). Cost is an issue; who should receive what is an issue; should this covered by National Health is an issue....when before is wasn't. This reflects a definite mind shift and it's one that concerns us. 

The whole nightmare of drug costs is one that deserves it's own thread. The US truly has dropped the ball there. 

@SahmIam,, I know that this different way of allotting coverage is a lightning rod. But I also know that our current dependence on primarily for-profit insurance companies is untenable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland