Respected Contributor

My mom went to the beauty parlor every week and had her hair washed and styled.  She got it colored and cut on a certain schedule too.  She was very fussy about her hair.  She had the same style forever.  She never changed it.  It was teasted and sprayed to death.  LOL 

I have to wash my hair every day.  I usually just dry it in beachy waves or straighten/smooth it with the Perfector. 

I remember my grandma sleeping with some sort of hair net and toilet paper wrapped around her hair.  They were always afraid to sleep on their hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

Perms must have been all the rage back in the 40's (my mom's heyday). I know the film stars had perms. But the way my mom & her darling sisters permed was terrible!

The "ritual" was, as you were wrapping the hair around the curler, to cut it first! Each curl was the same length -- short!

The result was definitely not what Hollywood was sporting!

Then when her sisters could no longer perm her hair, she made me (just a kid at the time) do it! It was horrible!!

On top of that, she gave me and my sister perms!! It was so embarrassing!!!

Needless to say, I shun permanents like the plague!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wash

Apply gel

Blow dry

Use curling iron

Pic through

Light hair spray

Ready to go anywhere!

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

My Mother had thick , naturally curly hair. She would wrap it in large rollers to try to soften the curls so she could style it. I have the polar opposite - thin, fine , poker straight hair. When I was a child my poor Mom had no idea how to deal with my hair, so she was constantly giving me perms. How I hated those perms! When I went to high school I let my hair grow and wore it in a That Girl type flip. Then long straight Cher hair was in style and I got it cut with a V in the back just like Cher's.Finally , my straight hair was in style. I would wash it every morning and comb it and let it dry naturally. My hair dries very quickly so this was not a problem, by the time I got dressed, put on MU and had breakfast , my hair was dry.

Now I wear my hair short and still wash it daily, and blow it dry. I pay for a very good cut and that is the very best thing I do for my hair. My hair routines and my Mother's have never been similar, because we had such different hair.

Honored Contributor

My mother was the queen of the beehive.  After her weekly trip to the beauty parlor she wrapped it in TP every night. It was dyed an austere dark, dark brown.

The ritual of hers I follow is I have my hair dyed (dark blond/lightest brown) every 3 weeks. I have it cut every 6 weeks.   I still use velcro rollers and do not mind a bit of back combing with a brush. My mother had a teasing comb with a rat tail end.

Like my mother, I do not go out without make-up and my hair in place.

Honored Contributor

I don't know that I would call mine a ritual. Keeping your hair clean is more about hygene to me

I wear a chin length bob with bangs. I wash it and blow it dry evey day. I can't stand not to. I just don't feel clean if I don't.  It goes so fast it's really no trouble at all.

It looks cute and I get a lot of compliments on the cut and my natural silver grey color.  I know not eveyone can wear grey hair, mine is so light silver that it looks nice with my pale complexion. Sometimes I get it frosted and it adds a bit of pizzaz. You can't tell when it grows out ,because it is so subtle you don't see roots

Honored Contributor

Re: Hairdo Rituals

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I don't know that I would call mine a ritual. Keeping your hair clean is more about hygene to me

I wear a chin length bob with bangs. I wash it and blow it dry evey day. I can't stand not to. I just don't feel clean if I don't.  It goes so fast it's really no trouble at all.

It looks cute and I get a lot of compliments on the cut and my natural silver grey color.  I know not eveyone can wear grey hair, mine is so light silver that it looks nice with my pale complexion. Sometimes I get it frosted and it adds a bit of pizzaz. You can't tell when it grows out ,because it is so subtle you don't see roots

I wash my hair (and shower everday). I can't imagine not doing it. I don't have a hair ritual. I let my long hair, air dry,

Honored Contributor

At 4 or 5 my mom learned how to give me "banana" curls. Then when I was in grammar school I had what they called a "pageboy." Every night my mom would set my hair. In third grade I remember winning a prize for having the best hair in the class. That did not go over well with my girlfriends who said I cheated because my hair was not naturally curly. LOL

In high school, I had long straight hair parted on the side or the middle. It was strawberry blonde and no bottled hair dye would ever be able to give it to me again. It was very different but as I got older it started to fade.

Now I wear my hair in a layered bob. It is honey blonde and I put a lot of effort into it. I have always enjoyed styling my hair.... Wash it usually daily and curl it. When my hair was super short, I really disliked it so I will never do that again....

Respected Contributor

What does wrapping your head with toilet paper do? 

Respected Contributor

for a haircut my mother would visit the "Beauty Parlor" in the home of a lady Beauty Operator.  there were many of "home" beauty parlors then . she would have a wash n set.

she used to wash her hair once a week on Saturday morning and then she would put a towel in the sink and dump in a bunch of brush rollers.   she used Dippity Do and rolled up her hair and put a scarf over it tied in the back. she did this until the 70s when she got a Mod haircut and had her hair frosted. i don't know how she kept the roller set looking curled for a week!! she had perms as a teen. not as a mother.

i have had so many cuts and colors. i have long wavy hair i usually use smoothing serum and wrap it and clip with a bear claw clip. sometimes set on  twisty rollers.