Respected Contributor

Re: Hairdo Rituals

[ Edited ]

Just tryin' to keep it on my head these days. Smiley Very Happy

One memory I have was my mom setting my hair with Dippity Do.

I love to stick my fingers in it and I loved the smell.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

My mom hated messing with her hair, she would go to the salon for cuts, but I was her designated hair roller. I swear I could do it in my sleep. The best part was she would tease the daylights out of it, and that " do" would last. I'm just the opposite, I go to the salon every 4 weeks for a trim, and color.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My grandmother with the rollers and tp!  I loved going to the beauty salon with her!  My mom colored her own hair and did rollers.  Me....ummm.....I go to the salon for a color and trim every 7 weeks.  I have curly hair that can be easily pin curled or straightened.....I lucked out.  I wash and go with beachy waves of hair.....everything else is a mess!!!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

When I was a kid my mom "set" her hair with hard pink rollers at night, in the morings she took the rollers out and brushed her hair back into a low bun or a french twist.  Her natural color was brunette but she colored it black.  She had fair skin and she always wore red lipstick.  She was stunning.  Sometimes to protect a "set", she would take the rollers out but she didn't brush or comb her hair, she wrapped a turban around her head.  But, that was her and that was then.  I live in the present and I always kept things simple.  My hair is probably mostly gray now, I've been coloring a dark "nearly black" brunette for more years than I can count but I haven't used any type of rollers since I was 20ish.  I have curly hair and I co-wash and air day.  If I want it straight, I co-wash and pull it up into a high topknot and wear it that way for 24 hours.  When I let it down, it's straight with some bounce. 

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy

I stopped dyeing my hair when I retired at the age of 50.  High school I was "chery red," working I was a golden blond.

Now I have black hair w/white devil horns sprouting from the forehead.  That's the only way I can explain the gray hairs which started sprouting last year from the right & left side above my forehead. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Mz iMac wrote:

Now I have black hair w/white devil horns sprouting from the forehead.  That's the only way I can explain the gray hairs which started sprouting last year from the right & left side above my forehead. Smiley LOL

Suits ya, @Mz iMac.  Woman Wink

Sounds striking and cool.

Honored Contributor

My hair is "Jamie Lee Curtis short" so I don't have a ritual.

I have to wash it every day.  Quick blow dry and I'm done.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

While I was growing up, my Mom went to the "beauty parlor" every Thursday. Many of my friends went in junior high and sat under the dryers with rollers reading great magazines..."Seventeen" & "Glamour".

Since my hair was curly, I didn't go...nothing they could do to mine. I always felt left out. I still feel I should have been allowed to go along to be one of the crowd. 

As an adult, I only go for color/cut every 4 wks. and I love reading the magazines while the color is processing. 

Honored Contributor

Last time I had my hair colored/lightened was about three months ago.

I keep it short and hope the stripe will be gone in 2 more haircuts.

I don't use products, curling irons, straighteners.  I wash it, dry it and I'm good to go.

Esteemed Contributor

My hair ritual:

1. Wash hair

2. Comb hair

3. Go