Honored Contributor

My mother dyed her hair.....I color my hair.   We go gray early in my family, I have no doubt that I'm totally gray now.  The grays started coming in seriously  when I was in my late 30's and I've been coloring my hair ever since.  My natural color was a dark brunette, I color my hair black now.  I like that black hair/dark brows/bright lip look.  My hair grows quickly so, I have to color it every month.  That's a bummer.   I like the look of gray hair with a cool, modern hair cut on other women but not for myself.....not yet....I'm only 57.  My husband's had thick, healthy "young" hair.  He's salt&pepper and it looks good on him but he recently started using a Men's shampoo that deposits color because he doesn't want to be "too gray".  He's 57 too and he works with group of people who are much younger, he thinks and acts "young" so his age isn't a factor but he does think that if he went totally gray, he'd be viewed as "that older guy" and he doesn't want to be in that "box".

Honored Contributor

I don't like gray roots ... so I opted to go blonde when I started to get gray.  I've been lightening my hair since 1989.   

I did have an "episode" in 2011 that I though I'd stop ... that lasted from August to February.  I hated the way I looked "au naturel"  - so back to blonde and this is where I'm staying.

I use Feria 91 ... it colors the white hair just a bit and lightens the brown hair enough that it looks like my hair has been highlighted.  Very happy with the look.

Honored Contributor

not me. I'll hit NIce & easy till I'm in the coffin. Nothing ages you more then a mop of ugly ol' grey hair. You automatically assume the person is over 60

I applaud the others who give up the bottle, but, I'll always have a spare

Honored Contributor

I still let my stylist of over twenty years color mine and went just this past Friday, too afraid to do myself.  She was more shocked I told her to take four inches off my waist length hair that if let the gray grow out she would probably faint dead away. 

I started turning gray back in the early 80's at only 22 years old so I have been coloring a long time.   Started doing blond shade instead of brunette back in 1996 since it shows less gray.  I am not ready to let my "Grandmother" status rule my hair color yet but I am not going to go into my 60's in a few years with hair down to my waist.  Slow process but fast years going by.  My dear Mom looked lovely with the all "white" hair she finally let show through the last few years of her life so I have a good example to draw from.

@Shorty2U I bet the red is lovely and I am sure the gray will be too whenever you are ready.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

My beautician's husband works at a local funeral home.  She helps out sending their female customers to the Pearly Gates with a proper hairdo.  She knows when the day comes, if she is working, I'd like my roots done and my bangs trimmed.

Valued Contributor

Gray hair is ugly!

Honored Contributor

@Thrive wrote:

Gray hair is ugly!

I believe the look of gray hair is in the eye of the beholder.  My dad and I were walking through a large medical building with a center atrium to meet mom.  He stopped and looked ahead.  She was sitting there with the sun streaming in reflecting on her silver hair.  He said, "Your mom has the most beautiful hair!"  Married 63 years. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Thrive wrote:

Gray hair is ugly!

Ha, simply stated.

I have seen gray and white and silver hair that i thought was very pretty         but it made the person look years older than their actual age.   That is           fine if it doesn't bother the person with the gray hair but for me at age 

70, I'm not ready to look my age much less 80+ yet.   

Honored Contributor

Certain shades of gray hair is nice. I prefer my hair dye. I am not gray all over, just a little bit  here and there,

Respected Contributor

I'm trying to grow mine out. I've colored my hair for 45 years and am tired of it. Don't really mind if I look my age. After all, most people know after a certain age that a woman is coloring her hair. 

My natural color is a medium auburn brown but I've been coloring it the last few years a dark blonde so the gray roots don't show too much.