Honored Contributor

Close to me or not too close to me for High School grad especially going on to College I do Starbuck's gift cards.  Put a note in to aid in all nighters.  Just increase the amount of the gift card if the relationship is a close one to me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

before gift cards...yes, i'm old....i would give a gift certificate to the book store where they were going to college....i remember recipients being very excited!

Esteemed Contributor

I know it may sound impersonal, but cash or check is a much appreciated gift for a high school grad.  Even though it was years ago, that meant so much to me to be able to purchase things for my dorm room like a new bedding set and just to have some spending money on hand to buy supplies for my classes or go out to eat with new friends.  

Valued Contributor
Without a doubt, first choice would be to send a check. Second choice is a gift card. Amazon is good, plus you don’t have to pay a fee.
Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan 

That has always been my thought about gift cards, cash, checks.   They are the lazy , I don't care enough to really get something personal.   But I understand those days are gone and especially for someone going to college.

So I'll either get a crisp bill from the bank or an amazon gift card.  Probably the amazon gift card so I don't have to worry about sending cash thru the mail.

Thanks everyone.  You've all pushed me past my "lazy gift" mindset. 

BTW wildcat fan:  she will be one too.  That is her university mascot.