Frequent Contributor

How much do dog walkers get paid?  I am in my 70's and not in good health and cannot walk him.   Thanks.                                    

Esteemed Contributor

@LOVEMYFURBABY wrote:

How much do dog walkers get paid?  I am in my 70's and not in good health and cannot walk him.   Thanks.                                    

Depends on where you live and what kind of dog needs to be walked (I think).

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@LOVEMYFURBABY 

You should check your local pet shop, or pet doctor - they can probably give you some good info.

Esteemed Contributor

It depends on the area you live. My daughters pay $$$ for someone to care for their pets. One is in VA the other in NY

Trusted Contributor

@LOVEMYFURBABY Our local volunteer center has requests for dog walkers which seem to get filled - not sure if that is an option where you live.  Also try pet stores/vets to see if they have have dog walker suggestions.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Sign up for NextDoor.com, your neighborhood website.  Ask for recommendations for local dog walkers, call and ask what they charge.  A few walkers might reply to you there.

Make sure the one you choose has good recommendations.  Someone might reply that hasn't walked dogs before.

Frequent Contributor

He is a Cavaler King Charles Spaniel who is not used to being walked since I cannot walk him.  He would have to start out for short walks at first.  He is five years old and a sweet dog.  I love him very much.

Frequent Contributor

I live in Northern Kentucky across the river from Cincinnati, Ohio.

Trusted Contributor

You might be able to find a neighbor with a teenage boy or girl looking for an easy job. A responsible teen might enjoy making money you both can agree on (have a price in mind you Ed willing to pay before offering the work) and will also feel they are being helpful to you, besides loving your dog. Perhaps contact your nearby high school and see if they have a community service program that sends teens to help older folks. Lots of kids work for school credit. Some schools won't allow seniors to graduate without a service effort. There's your "volunteer"!

Do you have a neighbor who walks their own dog regularly? Offer to pay them modestly if they could take your pooch at the same time. Lots of people feel very good about being helpful to their older neighbors. Don't be afraid to ask just once. You're not begging or nagging. Just asking for a favor you will pay for or trade for. 

At the easiest, use Google to search for "dog walking services near me".  Allow it to use your location, of course, and it will give you listings that are relevant. Then follow up  to get prices for services. If it's close to your budget but a little high, use the "senior citizen" strategy  and ask for a price consideration. 

I think this is a solvable problem with a bit of research and initiative. Your dog will thank you for it!

Respected Contributor

Are there any young teens that you know in your neighborhood that might want to earn a bit of money?   My granddaughter walked a neighbor’s dog once a day after school and I think she got paid $20 a week.  She was thrilled.  I think at the time she was in junior high school.  As she got older though she ended up having to give it up due to afterschool activities.