Honored Contributor

Re: HOW MUCH DOES A HANDYMAN GET PAID

I can't beleive this is still going strong.  The OP already decided what she will pay him.   This man has a full time job and he is doing this and getting "paid under the table."

Removing wall to wall carpet is not hard or heavy duty work.  I know because I have done it... many times.    You don't need to really move the furniture more than about12 to 18 inches. 

Carpet is not removed in one piece.  You cut it with a box cutter into 18 inch squares and stack up the pieces, tie it and take it outside to the trash.   The worst part of the job is removing those tack strips around the perimeter of the room.

Who here makes $50 an hour?  I had my hardwood floors refinished and the young man was on his hands and knees and even on his belly with a small toothbrush size non electric hand sander in my kitchen all around my cabinets and even he didn't charge $50 an hour.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Removing carpet is not heavy duty or skilled work.  My husband and I have done it many times by ourselves.

We cut the carpet into strips about 18 inches wide the whole length of the room, then cut them into 18 inch squares.  We lift them up and stack them up.  They are very easy to dispose that way.  We tie them into bundles and take them out to the trash.

You only have to slide the furniture a couple of feet to get the carpet that is under it.  We once removed carpet from a LR,DR, hallway and stairs, and three bedrooms in a few hours easily.

For $50 bucks an hour, I'll come do it.  $20 is more than fair.

Maybe she should hire you then.

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Removing carpet is not heavy duty or skilled work.  My husband and I have done it many times by ourselves.

We cut the carpet into strips about 18 inches wide the whole length of the room, then cut them into 18 inch squares.  We lift them up and stack them up.  They are very easy to dispose that way.  We tie them into bundles and take them out to the trash.

You only have to slide the furniture a couple of feet to get the carpet that is under it.  We once removed carpet from a LR,DR, hallway and stairs, and three bedrooms in a few hours easily.

For $50 bucks an hour, I'll come do it.  $20 is more than fair.

Maybe she should hire you then.

I'd do it and not charge her.  It wouldn't be the first time I helped someone.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The job is done....I gave him the $200.00  as stated...I appologized to him that it wasn't more...and he said this is more then enough...

He even came back the following day and put one of those straps on my bookcase so it doesn't accidently fall over when my granddaughter is sitting near it...he even changed the bulb in my ceiling fan...

Then he sat down and we talked politics...a nice conversation...