Esteemed Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

Consequences, something youth needs to learn and understand. 

Don't know if the applicants were 'just kidding around' but there's some things that you just don't do. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Harvard probably just saved itself a few Title IX cases. It's hard to imagine what those would-be students were thinking.

Except that if the students had accepted Harvard's offer of admission in the first place, I think a contract has been breached by Harvard!

I would think that contract would come with some contingencies; ie, good behavior.

@faeriemoon yes they are usually (always?) conditional.

They rescinded an offer there was no contract and fyi, as far as the business office is concerned until the bill for room,board and tuition is paid they aren't official. And( if they actually did accept and went through all the process which I doubt as it is still early in the year. They have already broken the schools code of ethics which the individual students would have signed off on. Making their acceptance null and void.)   So this was the first step. Glad the school was proactive and I agree with other posters this behaviour is a reflection of their parents and upbringing.

Honored Contributor

Since I have never been a registered user of Facebook, would a potential employer/educational institution disregard my application?  The only 'social media' site I post on is this BB.  Would my postings here be considered?  This is purely hypothetical since I am retired and not interested in adding to my formal educational credentials.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

These students are just a reflection of their parents!!

THat is a extremely broad and possibly a very inaccurate statement.  Plenty of kids who were raised right make very stupid errors in judgement.  JUst because a child knows the right thing to do,does not automatically mean they will always do the right thing.

That statement is true except for one thing.  If they were raised right, they wouldn't have posted what they posted on social media.  I still think these students are just a reflection of their parents. 

In many cases youth strives to be the "anti-reflection" of their parents particularly when away from them.  Angel at home, devil when away.

Following your logic every person that ever did anything socially, morally or legally unacceptable did so because they were following the teachings of their parents.

These students are individuals not "stepford children".

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Harvard probably just saved itself a few Title IX cases. It's hard to imagine what those would-be students were thinking.

Except that if the students had accepted Harvard's offer of admission in the first place, I think a contract has been breached by Harvard!

Excerpt from http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05/us/harvard-memes/index.html (emphasis added)

The description for the Harvard College Class of 2021 Facebook group states, "we are not responsible for any unofficial groups, chats, or content within." It goes on to remind students that "Harvard College reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission under various conditions."

One of those conditions includes "if an admitted student engages or has engaged in behavior that brings into question their honesty, maturity or moral character," a university spokeswoman said.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

These students are just a reflection of their parents!!

THat is a extremely broad and possibly a very inaccurate statement.  Plenty of kids who were raised right make very stupid errors in judgement.  JUst because a child knows the right thing to do,does not automatically mean they will always do the right thing.

That statement is true except for one thing.  If they were raised right, they wouldn't have posted what they posted on social media.  I still think these students are just a reflection of their parents. 

In many cases youth strives to be the "anti-reflection" of their parents particularly when away from them.  Angel at home, devil when away.

Following your logic every person that ever did anything socially, morally or legally unacceptable did so because they were following the teachings of their parents.

Say that to the other posters that agree.  I'm not in your group so it's me you pick on.  I stick with my opinion.  THESE STUDENTS ARE A REFLECTION OF THEIR PARENTS.

Valued Contributor

It is common sense that they should be super-careful online, however I wonder how many CEOs, doctors and attorneys aged 50 and up would be where they are now if their colleges could have monitored their phone conversations when they were 19.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Say that to the other posters that agree.  I'm not in your group so it's me you pick on.  I stick with my opinion.  THESE STUDENTS ARE A REFLECTION OF THEIR PARENTS.

Responding with a different opinion is "picking on" you?  Very telling.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I would think that acceptance would come with some contingencies; ie, good behavior.

I agree @faeriemoon ... Harvard lawyers have made sure of that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I would think that contract would come with some contingencies; ie, good behavior.

@faeriemoon yes they are usually (always?) conditional.

They rescinded an offer there was no contract and fyi, as far as the business office is concerned until the bill for room,board and tuition is paid they aren't official. And( if they actually did accept and went through all the process which I doubt as it is still early in the year. They have already broken the schools code of ethics which the individual students would have signed off on. Making their acceptance null and void.)   So this was the first step. Glad the school was proactive and I agree with other posters this behaviour is a reflection of their parents and upbringing.

Maybe, or maybe not.