Respected Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

These students are just a reflection of their parents!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I saw this on the news ......  good for Harvard!    I hope other schools follow suit.

They have!  When my son graduated HS in 2009 the HS Principal warned the students to be senior year 'responsible' - that colleges were taking back acceptances based on social media activity. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

THat is a extremely broad and possibly a very inaccurate statement.  Plenty of kids who were raised right make very stupid errors in judgement.  JUst because a child knows the right thing to do,does not automatically mean they will always do the right thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I applaud Harvard and any college that holds students accountable.  Unfortunately, too few are doing this.

These memes were not errors in judgment.  When we have a "joke" about an Hispanic child being hung and used as a pinata, that is cruel and shows the true character of the person posting.  

I am afraid that we are on that slippery slope and it will be a fight to turn it around.  Every school-age child understands that anything posted online can be read by anyone, no matter how many blocks are used.

It is time for families to be families and to bring civility into reality.  I personally believe that patriotism also needs to return--big time.  It is time for our young people to have a love of family and country, even before they adore themselves--just my opinion.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

THat is a extremely broad and possibly a very inaccurate statement.  Plenty of kids who were raised right make very stupid errors in judgement.  JUst because a child knows the right thing to do,does not automatically mean they will always do the right thing.

That statement is true except for one thing.  If they were raised right, they wouldn't have posted what they posted on social media.  I still think these students are just a reflection of their parents. 

Respected Contributor

Wonder how far this goes.  If someone, for example, supported Kathy Griffin's recent video and joked about it - would that qualify for rejection to Harvard?

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Harvard probably just saved itself a few Title IX cases. It's hard to imagine what those would-be students were thinking.

Except that if the students had accepted Harvard's offer of admission in the first place, I think a contract has been breached by Harvard!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Harvard probably just saved itself a few Title IX cases. It's hard to imagine what those would-be students were thinking.

Except that if the students had accepted Harvard's offer of admission in the first place, I think a contract has been breached by Harvard!

I would think that acceptance would come with some contingencies; ie, good behavior.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I would think that contract would come with some contingencies; ie, good behavior.

@faeriemoon yes they are usually (always?) conditional.

Honored Contributor

Good.

Yeah, I don't subscribe to the parents are always the blame. A similar situation occurred involving a friend of one of my sons (high school and it cost him a place on the sports team as well a numerous full-ride scholarships to some GOOD colleges). I know the boys parents...he thought he was being "edgy" and "funny" and it didn't mean a thing and everyone thinks this kind of stuff and so on and so on and so on.

I had a long talk with my son. I have zero tolerance for this kind of  @rap.  My boys know that you ALWAYS stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves and if you don't, you're just as bad as those who do the harm. 

His friend is no longer his friend.