Esteemed Contributor

HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

THey had been expected to start class in September.  EVidently a FB page was established to allow accepted members of the freshman class to communicate amongst themselves.  EVidently these students posted comments joking about such subjects as ***ual assault, the Holocaust and the murder of children.   Other students on the FB page reported the comments to Harvard who investigated and rescinded their admission offers.

Honored Contributor

Re: HArvard Univ rescinds acceptance for 10 students

I guess they weren't so smart after all.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. College students are consistently being guided to watch their media, as their words could impact future job interviews. Sounds like these conversations will be taking place with parents of students who have been rejected. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

book smart  A+

common sense F

Honored Contributor

Good, weed them out.  FB and other social media is also often checked when people apply for jobs.

Honored Contributor

I saw this on the news ......  good for Harvard!    I hope other schools follow suit.

Respected Contributor

Harvard probably just saved itself a few Title IX cases. It's hard to imagine what those would-be students were thinking.

Trusted Contributor

Some public and not so public discourse has become crude, coarse, hurtful, shameful, etc. among those in the public eye, e.g. politicians, entertainers, etc,, and in media, print and digital. They are models of social behavior, intentional or not. For some, it is perfectly acceptable to say whatever they wish and demonstrate a lack of civility because they are not being "politically correct." After all, one might gain a position of immense influence despite crude language and behavior and experience few consequences!  Officials at Harvard taught these young people a valuable lesson and others should draw from this episode. It will be interesting if anyone sues as a result of the admissions denial.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Good, weed them out.  FB and other social media is also often checked when people apply for jobs.

When my daughter was applying for SSDI, her lawyer told her the judge will be checking her FB. It is a tool used today to learn about a person. 

Respected Contributor

Youthful stupidity & bad decisions can live forever on the internet!  Thank goodness it wasn't around when most of us were doing dumb kid stuff.