Honored Contributor

According to legend, in 1776, George Washington commissioned Philadelphia seamstress Betsy Ross to create a flag for the new nation. Scholars, however, credit the flag’s design to Francis Hopkinson, who also designed the Great Seal and first coin of the United States. Even so, Ross most likely met Washington and certainly sewed early American flags in her family’s Philadelphia upholstery shop. To date, there have been twenty-seven official versions of the flag, but the arrangement of the stars varied according to the flag-makers’ preferences until 1912 when President Taft standardized the then-new flag’s forty-eight stars into six rows of eight. The forty-nine-star flag (1959-60), as well as the fifty-star flag, also have standardized star patterns. The current version of the flag dates to July 4, 1960, after Hawaii became the fiftieth state on August 21, 1959.

To honor the promise of the United States and my immigrant father, I am wearing the American flag pin he proudly gifted me about six decades ago.  I do this every year.

Super Contributor

Lily of the

Happy anniversary on this Flag Day!

flag.gif

Respected Contributor

@Oznell , that must've been very special. I love to see kids get excited as I am about our flag. Makes me tear up just thinking of that! We were taught to honor our flag, I don't think they teach that any longer sadly.

Honored Contributor

Yes, Happy Anniversary, @newname0 !

Wow, @vsm ,  I'm struck by your location--  how interesting to have a view of Iwo Jima from one's own window!

@Carolina925,  yes, that must have been about 15 years ago that that occurred, as I think he was about six.  Hoping that there are still places that emphasize these vital civic values.  He was lucky then to have a teacher who played piano beautifully and must have had a strong patriotic sentiment. She organized the whole thing on her own, I believe.    

Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925  Same here.  I remember standing out in front of the school every morning (when there wasn't bad weather).  It's a fond memory.

Honored Contributor
We must always respect Old Glory. I taught school for 35 years and retired 6 yrs ago. Every day, we said the pledge and had a flag hanging in my classroom. We line our long sidewalk with flags on the fourth and do smaller flags closer to the house on other holidays like Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Have no place for a flagpole or large flag, but we still honor our flag.
Respected Contributor

I fly my American flag every day...proud and patriotic!

Respected Contributor

Heart

June 14 Holidays and Observances, Events, History, Recipe, and More!

Flag Day, Flag Day 2020, Happy Flag Day, Happy Flag Day 2020, National Flag  Day, National Flag Day 2020, National Flag Day Quotes & Wishes -  Technewssources.com

Super Contributor

Happy flag day! God bless the USA! 

Honored Contributor

Never heard about it at all...never saw one flag displayed on my walk today. Not even the TV news said anything about it being flag day.  Oh well...