Respected Contributor

Re: HALLOWEEN MEMORIES

[ Edited ]

@kittykatkay @PamfromCT  

When my brother and I were young, we did not have store bought costumes. My mother put together costumes

adding makeup or a mask.

When I was 10 years old, I was so excited to have my first store bought costume. It was a black cat costume. As it turned out, I was sick with the mumps on Halloween.

My sweet little 5 year old brother, took an extra bag with him, to the neighbors, to bring home candy for his sick sister.

Honored Contributor

I must be the naughty one here....haha.  I grew up in the 50's-60's.....lived in a nice Leave It to Beaver neighborhood.  My brother and I would go out with friends on our block a week before Halloween to "trick" neighbors.  Still can't believe my parents let us do it but harmless fun.....we rang doorbells..ran....quietly we took a bar of soap and soaped windows.  😂  On Halloween, we did wear costumes but I can't remember them much....just all the candy we got....LOTS!  We went for blocks....back when you felt safe doing it.  Good times and memories! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 @kittykatkay 

We also had a Halloween wedding at our house, for our oldest daughter.

It was a surprise wedding. The invitations sent, were for a Halloween Costume Party. The house was all decorated and my daughter's friends kept asking where she was. The JP was dressed in a long robe and wore a feather mask. I dressed as a witch and my husband as a wizard.

As recorded bagpipe music began, I gave each guest a little parchment scroll, tied with a black ribbon. It read " Roses are red, voilets are blue, tonight is the night, the surprise is on you." She descended the stairs, as the bagpipe music played, wearing a gorgeous white gown and everyone was amazed.

I made all the food. We had a case of champagne and a beautiful wedding cake, frosted in white and decorated in orange and black. The favors were little Jack o lanterns filled with candy corn in black netting, tied with orange ribbon with bride and groom's names printed on the ribbon.

It was a fun and memorable Halloween.

Trusted Contributor

Halloween is my birthday, so every Halloween is great fun for me. 😁

When I was trick or treating age, I, with the help of my Mom, made my own costume. I recall dressing as a cheerleader, a hippie/flower child, princess, granny, cat...those are the ones I remember. I lived in a town that resembled the TV show "The WonderYears"  - lots of young families with children and almost every house gave out candy on Halloween. We carried  pillow cases that got so full that we had to stop at home to drop off our "loot" so that we could continue on to other streets in the town. One block on any given street had at least 20 houses and most street ran at least 4 blocks so it was easy to stop at well over 100 houses on Halloween. Hard to pick a favorite childhood Halloween memory but one that stood out was on my 12th birthday when my favorite aunt surprised us by flying in to visit from California.

As I got older, Halloween was all about parties at peoples houses and at bars/clubs. I loved getting dressed up (still do). On my 21st birthday my best friend and I won $500 in a costume contest. 

After I got married and through to today Halloween is all about decorating the house and giving out candy to the kids. I've been lucky to live in neighborhoods that love Halloween. Looking forward to this year Halloween night!

Honored Contributor

The Halloween that changed my life.

I was ten and we had moved from Chicago to Prescott, Arizona.  I was Raggedy Ann that year and my mother made my red yarn wig.  I realized then how creative and talented she was.

My sister knew two sisters who knew a wealthy older woman who lived in an exclusive area.  That's where they took me trick-or-treating.

I remember walking up the path to a house.  It was dark and windy and I was walking through crackling leaves, afraid I was going to trip and fall.  Suddenly the front door opened.  Slowly.  And it squeaked.  Like in the movies.

I saw a light.  I couldn't make out the figure -- I just saw a hand holding an antique candlestick.  The flame flickered and that's when I saw the hand.

It looked old.  And I swear the flesh was coming off it.  I was petrified and excited at the same time.

All I could think was: When I'm an adult and I have a home of my own, I'm going to terrify little kids just like this!

I discovered later that several residents in that area had retired from Hollywood and that explained the amazing theatrics.

It certainly impressed me.  That was 52 years ago and I still get a thrill when I think about it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I fell off my bicycle on Halloween at age 12 and broke two bones in my left arm.  This was the last year (at that time) that we were going to go trick or treating before becoming teenagers.  I was so beside myself that I had to stay home that year.  I pouted for hours in my room.  Unbeknownist to me, my mother had arranged for my best friend to collect candy for me.  We only went to houses of people we knew in the neighborhood, so those people knew what had happened.  So, my mom asks me to come down and watch the children come by.  I refused to come down.  I also didn't know she had arranged for that friend and others to come and have a small celebration with me, after trick or treating.  Once she demanded I come down, I relented.  It was nice that my mom knew how upset I was and made these arrangements.  Love you, Mama!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

OMGoodness, I sure enjoy reading everyone's memories and adventures surrounding Halloween.  How wonderful and Priceless!!!

Honored Contributor

@Pandalady   Just in time for Halloween!!

260 Dad Jokes That Are So Bad They're Actually Good | Funny dog jokes,  Funny animal jokes, Clean funny memes

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  Thank you, my friend!!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Trusted Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@kittykatkay we made our own costumes, too! I remember using a pillowcase for our candy.  Halloween was as big to me as Christmas. And because we went to parochial school, we always had off school the day after Trick or Treating.  

So, the next morning while it was still dark, we'd go down to the living room. My older brother, older sis and I would sit cross legged in a circle on the rug, dump our pillow cases out in front of us and then the trading began.  

Looking back, I was probably not really very smart with my trades, since I loved candy corn and traded away many nice chocolate bars for those.  But it was so much fun!

@Kalli   We sound like the same family !    My older brother and sister also did the trade in the morning. And yes...we went out with pillowcases.  There was enough candy to feed an army for a year.  The only thing I really wanted was M&Ms. or Three Musketeers bars.  So my brother and sister made out pretty good.