Esteemed Contributor

Re: Guess who funded Moderna?

[ Edited ]

These are not "investors " in Moderna.  The research which led to the vaccine was funded by Dolly, in part, along with the other sources cited above.  Her donation is via a charitable 501c3 Foundation,  not the purchase of Moderna stock.

Honored Contributor

Why does this good news have to turn into a bash at others who some of you think are not as charitable or whose motives you might question?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Dolly is a well-known philanthropist. She gave $1million to Moderna for part of the $1.525 billion dollar funding.

That would be like me giving someone $1 to help with their $1,500 rent bill, right? 

It's a bad title. Great that Ms. Parton's philanthropy is helping foot the bill, but the title makes it sound as if she underwrote the entire thing. 

Applause to all of the individuals, foundations, etc. who are helping to make solutions to this horror possible. But the Nobel goes to the person or org that frees up N95 production, at least until there's a bulletproof, no side/adverse effects, perpetually effective (or min 10 years) vaccine available.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:
Why does this good news have to turn into a bash at others who some of you think are not as charitable or whose motives you might question?

I haven't read all the comments. The "author" seems to make it sound like this is a novel action taken by DP. Good work of course, but to shout it out as if this is news about her philantrophy just isn't true.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

These are not "investors " in Moderna.  The research which led to the vaccine was funded by Dolly, in part, along with the other sources cited above.  Her donation is via a charitable 501c3 Foundation,  not the purchase of Moderna stock.

Thank you for pointing that out @Johnnyeager.  Dolly Parton is not an investor in Moderna, she helped fund the research to develop the vaccine.  Big difference.  

Good for Dolly and a big thank you for her donation. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Knowing this makes my opinion of Dolly Parton soar. It must be so gratifying to have the monetary means to make a difference and do good work for this world.

Honored Contributor

She has always seemed to be the kindest, sweetest person. Caring heart of gold. I am glad people like her exist these days.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I'm not surprised at all that my girl Dolly did this.  I've never heard or seen a bad word about her.  Not saying she's a saint but has a sweet, caring heart.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Misleading title, should of been: Who invested in Moderna not who funded. But really the take away is yippee, the mask goes in the trash!

@Nancy Drew @Kachina624 @It was a gift, not an investment. Here's what Vanderbilt University said about it.

"Legendary country music singer-songwriter Dolly Parton has made a generous gift to Vanderbilt University Medical Center that will increase scientific knowledge and advance the battle against COVID-19.

Parton made the gift in honor of her longtime friend, Naji Abumrad, MD, professor of Surgery, to support research teams who are working urgently to perfect treatments and cures for COVID-19.    

In an appearance on NBC’s Today Show, Parton commented on the gift going to support research for a bridge treatment that will save lives until a vaccine is identified. “What better time right now, we need this," she said. "I felt like this was the time for me to open my heart and my hand, and try to help.”"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D.  So she did not give the donation to Moderna but to Vanderbilt?  Moderna is a for-profit corporation listed on NASDAQ.  As such they would not be eligible for 501c.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment